“Excellent food! Huge portions!”
Review of Carmine's

Carmine's
Reserve with OpenTable
Carmine's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #120 of 13,633 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: Between 90th & 91st Streets
Transit: 1, 2, 3 trains to 96th Street
Description: Carmine's simple and very popular concept is to serve every meal in the style of an Italian American wedding feast - which means large portions of home-style antipasti, pastas, seafood and meat entrees served on large platters designed for sharing. And when we say large, we mean large. An entree here could easily feed three to four average eaters. Located in a sprawling, former grand ballroom on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, this is the original Carmines. Designed by Peter Niemitz, the interiors evoke the images of the quintessential New York restaurant. With elements and details from the 1920s to the 1940s, the restaurant has the look and feel of a place that has been around for much longer than it's 1990 opening. If you are in the market for freshly prepared family style Italian food that is served in huge portions at reasonable prices, this is the place for you.
Maryland
“Excellent food! Huge portions!”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Wow...when they say, "Family Style," it means bring a family! It was an incredible amount of food for a couple. Nonetheless, the food was excellent. Although I would have loved to have had a Caesar salad, it was just too big-I wouldn't have been able to eat dinner! The bread provided was delicious and it was a nice selection. We got the stuffed mushrooms that I would recommend. I am picky about how mushrooms are made and these were really delicious. They had a little spiciness from sausage but the heat was not overbearing and it really added to the flavor. The size of the mushrooms were not disappointing like other places when they come out and there are 4 shriveled button mushrooms on a plate. I definitely would get them again. We also ordered the seafood pasta which was $47 but I thought worth it. There was a whole lobster, large shrimp,mussels, clams, and the most tender calamari I've had, There were nice large pieces of Roma tomatoes, fresh basil and the sauce in general was tasty. We would have liked a little bowl of sauce separately since as the food sat, the pasta really sucked up the sauce. I'm sure they would have brought us some but we didn't ask. The lobster was delicious and well, not sure if it was good form or not but I dove in and ate every bit of it. Amazing I ended up with sauce everywhere but on me!!! We also got a bottle of Carmine's Chianti. It was good but really needed to breathe a little and it could have done that better in a wine glass as opposed to the little juice type glasses they use. Wine glasses are designed for wine, bourbon glasses for bourbon, margarita glasses for margaritas...it's not just looks, it's function. Other than that it was a wonderful meal and I'd go back again. We took the leftovers with us and had enough for a whole another meal!

Visited June 2014
Jennifer W, Manager at Carmine's, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Thank you for your posting your great review. Come back sometime soon. Mangia

• Korean first
Provo, Utah
“The price you pay for excellence”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

When I announced to my cousins that I was dragging my sister to New York for a few days, I invited them to dinner. I had planned on taking her to Olive Garden at Times Square, not for the food, but because it has a great view of Broadway. They immediately vetoed the idea and said that they were taking us to Carmine's.

It would have been nice if they mentioned the price. Even splitting the bill three ways, it came to about 50 dollars a person for four entrees and a mango julep.

The food, though, was fantastic. It's best to go there in a group so you can snitch off of each other's plates and try a little bit of everything. It's also a fairly low-key place that's not as loud or intrusive as some of the other places I've been in New York.

• Visited July 2013
Jennifer W, Manager at Carmine's, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Thank for celebrating your family visit at Carmine's and posting a review. Mangia
Cologne, Germany
“Excellent service - best Caesar's Salad in NYC!!!”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I've been to Carmine's on the Upper West Side a lot of times and really enjoyed the food very every single time. Last time I went, I had once again my favourite Caesar's Salad and must admit that this was THE BEST I ever had in my entire life! Of course I will visit one of my favourite restaurants in New York again and again, when I'm abroad! Can't wait for the next time!

• Visited April 2014
Jennifer W, Manager at Carmine's, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Appreciate a rave review. Thank you for being a loyal customer. The caesar is one of the best dishes. Mangia
Jackson, New Jersey
“Good place for families with small kids”
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

went her for dinner with my 3 kids , wife and in-laws. host was nice and we got a table away from foot traffic. Waiter was a somewhat distracted, took a couple of times to get all of our orders in. The place is noisy but if you have small kids that can be a good thing: no one will notice if your kid yells too loud! We got a big salad to start, dressing was very tasty! We ordered the Sunday special: four pasta dish: ziti, manicotti, veggie lasagna and gnocchi. All were good, outside the lasagna which was ok, and very big portions. Ordered meatballs (a little too salty) and chicken parmesan (really good) as well. Overall this is a great restaurant for families with small kids, however for those who are just a couple or friends going out to dinner, there are plenty of other options for italian food in NYC that offer more intimate settings and more unique and rich dishes.

Visited May 2014
Jennifer W, Manager at Carmine's, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and will review your comments with our chefs. Mangia
Armacao dos Buzios, RJ
“Excelent”
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

I was last week at this place and I was impressed, great food, tasty pasta, huge servings and an incredible atmosphere, Carmines in midtown is full of tourists but this place is much better.
the best is that this place is open until late at night, I saw people arriving at 11 pm. do not miss eating here.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Paulo R
Jennifer W, Manager at Carmine's, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for your review. Come again soon