“Huge portions!!”
Review of Carmine's

Carmine's
Reserve with OpenTable
Carmine's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #124 of 13,689 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: Between 90th & 91st Streets
Transit: 1, 2, 3 trains to 96th Street
Description: Carmine's simple and very popular concept is to serve every meal in the style of an Italian American wedding feast - which means large portions of home-style antipasti, pastas, seafood and meat entrees served on large platters designed for sharing. And when we say large, we mean large. An entree here could easily feed three to four average eaters. Located in a sprawling, former grand ballroom on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, this is the original Carmines. Designed by Peter Niemitz, the interiors evoke the images of the quintessential New York restaurant. With elements and details from the 1920s to the 1940s, the restaurant has the look and feel of a place that has been around for much longer than it's 1990 opening. If you are in the market for freshly prepared family style Italian food that is served in huge portions at reasonable prices, this is the place for you.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Huge portions!!”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We went on a Tues evening and it was busy but got seated pretty quickly. Drinks were good and quick! The breads brought to the table were great. Had a salad between 4 of us to start with which was gorgeous and a perfect size. Then we shared a chicken dish, a pasta dish and some broccoli. This was just the right amount. My only problem was we had to ask 4/5 times for a high chair for our friends daughter. Would absolutely return!!!

• Korean first
Dublin, Ireland
“Great food and atmosphere”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

This is the kind of place you can only go with a group so you can get to try lots of different things. There were 10 of us and it was great that we could all get what we wanted but also get to try what everyone else was having. From the breads to the calamari and the pastas and desserts and of course the porterhouse steak, everything was amazing. You could never leave here hungry.

watertown ct
“New York Tradition”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Being part of a large Italian family that first came to New York by way of Ellis Island, a part of my heart lives in this amazing city. My daughter Gina and I came to Carmines, and as soon as you walk in the door..... the aroma of sauce, garlic and basil immediately hits you....and it is wonderful. The ornate atmosphere is welcoming, and the walls are covered with Italian history. We had a reservation for 9:30, and were seated 15 min early. No worries about having to wait, there is a bar area that has ample seating downstairs. The menu is on the wall....so much to choose from. The meal was absolutely amazing! Best vodka and white clam sauce we ever had. The calamari was light, and cooked perfectly. The cheesecake, was our servers suggestion and it was a slice of heaven! We had so much leftover food, it was hysterical. The best part? Our server, Raheim. He was so great...he made our visit unforgettable. Not only was he knowledgable, his customer service stood out and to us, makes the difference between a good restaurant, and a great one. We will be back, loved it!!!!!

1 Thank miaerrn10
New York City, New York
“Delicious”
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Let me put it this way, my girlfriend hates Italian food and loves it here. Every single dish here is incredible. You will not be let down.

1 Thank Wannabe_Batman
Guayaquil, Ecuador
“Great Italian cuisine.....at LARGE”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Last November we visited NYC with my wife and 10 years old son, I was running NYC's Marathon and of course pasta was on my main priorities. On a previous business trip to NYC in July 2013 I had already had lunched here, but with a group.

So now with my family and a marathon coming in, I decided to come back based on one thing: This is seriously good Italian home cuisine, period. Be aware the serving portions are LARGE, and the waiters which are very kind do point it out when bringing the menus, so two people can eat from an order of spaghetti...easily, keep that in mind when ordering. They bring bread, olive oil and balsamic vinegar quite fast to your table while waiting for your order to come, also beverages are served quickly.

My 4 points out of five are due to the waiting time for your main order to be brought to your table, we had to wait around 20 minutes, it happened the same on my previous visit in July 2013. Don't get me wrong, service is really good, waiters are kind and patient, and 100% honest on their recommendations and tips, however the place is usually packed and I assume the kitchen is heavily busy. So if you do to have time to wait, it's worth it. Don't miss their spaghetti bolognese....is a masterwork!

• Visited November 2013