“Wonderful Venue”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Park Avenue
Transit: 68th Street stop, #6 Train.
Reviewed November 22, 2017 via mobile

Visited here with some girlfriends in the summer on our USA tour, wonderful little place, was more than happy to seat us last minute. Xx J

TheDinexGroup, General Manager at Daniel, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2017

Dear Jessica, Thank you for your kind compliments! We are glad you and your girlfriends stopped by during your trip to the USA. It was our pleasure to accommodate you and we hope to welcome you again the next time you visit the States. Gratefully, Pierre Siue, Daniel

Write a ReviewReviews (3,021)

Reviewed November 21, 2017 via mobile

On a recent weekend my wife surprised me for my birthday with a trip to New York and then an evening at Daniel with friends. We had a reservation to Daniel back in 2011 and sadly had to cancel, so we were really looking forward to this evening.

There were nine of us seated in the lounge area, which as it turned out was better for us as we had a few louder people in our group. When a second birthday party showed up we were happy as our table’s antics were masked by theirs. I have to say that it was nice to see that people aren’t shunned from having a good time in an upscale establishment.

There were some nice touches like a personalized menu with my name on it and a fabulous birthday dessert.

The food was very good, but perhaps did not meet the expectations of some in the group. There were some courses that were superb and others that while good, did not inspire us. The Waygu beef was one of the best dishes I have eaten, the scallops were also a favourite. The hamachi was very good. The foie gras dish was not as good as I have had although the partridge dish with the foie was very good. The bread choices were fantastic (the butter presentation was really fun). Some who had the halibut felt it was overcooked and a bit tough although mine wasn’t as bad as they described. Frankly being from the west coast of B.C., halibut is a fish that we eat relatively frequently and wasn’t that exciting, however the sauce was outstanding. The desserts were really good however the plating was lacklustre as they were squished onto a small rectangle plate. I’d say overall the food was excellent but not life changing in any sort of way.

I ordered the cheese course where the selection was chosen for me, which I found a bit odd as I’ve usually had the opportunity to choose from a cheese cart. The plate was given to me with zero explanation of what I was eating and the server who chose the cheeses was MIA. We waited nearly 10 minutes for him to show up to explain. This service level was indicative of the entire evening.

One of the servers was good, a second server who was very difficult to understand would explain the dishes at one end of the table and forget to come to the other and let the other half know. One server took my foie gras dish before I was finished. We ordered coffee with dessert and one of them came long after dessert was finished (a bit chaotic as no server knew where it was). One server when asked confirmed that we could split the bill in any which way we wanted but when it came time to pay the other server he said it wouldn’t be possible. It seemed to be super difficult for them to figure out. Not sure why in the age of powerful POS systems that he couldn’t make it happen. After the server pouted enough I decided to pay the entire bill myself which angered the rest of my group. So then we just manually figured out what each couple owed as two others had already left earlier and paid for part of the bill (the server just randomly charged them more than their share as he said he just estimated it).

The sommelier really tried hard to sell us wine by the bottle and not the paired courses which I didn’t understand. We decided to go with his recommendation even against our better judgment and didn’t enjoy the selection. Even after telling him that we didn’t love Beaujolais, he said that this particular one was excellent and a good value. It was neither. The cocktails were excellent and approximately the price you would expect in New York. Overall, the service did not meet expectations and frankly was not nearly to the level that I would expect of a two star Michelin restaurant (that was three star not too long ago).

Trip Advisor rates this as #1 in New York, but I have little to go on as I haven’t eaten in many. If I had to compare to my other Michelin Experiences, I would say it’s on par with both the one stars in food, but better in the level of service (although the service was disappointing).

Even though the bill was $3500 plus gratuity for 9 people I’d say it wasn’t cheap but not overpriced. The evening was special and I enjoyed it regardless of the above review. It was a fun way to spend my birthday dinner with friends and family.

4  Thank Aaron J

Dear Aaron,

I received your comments regarding your recent visit at Restaurant Daniel and I would very much like to speak with you about your experience.

If you will provide me with a suitable time and a phone number, I will gladly give you a call. Or if you would prefer, I can be reached at 212-933-5337 or PSiue@danielnyc.com at your convenience.

I hope to speak with you soon.

Pierre Siue, Daniel

Reviewed November 20, 2017 via mobile

I had a dinner here few weeks ago and was amazing. I never had an experince like that before. Good food,excelent service,not too expensive. I will come back soon!

Dear James, Giving our guests an unforgettable dining experience is what we enjoy doing, so I am absolutely delighted you enjoyed your time here and thank for your fabulous compliments. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back! Gratefully, Pierre Siue, Daniel

Reviewed November 18, 2017 via mobile

We Had dinner with dear friends celebrating a birthday. From the start till the end, the service was very professional, may be even too professional making me feel sometimes uncomfortable. For gentlemen, wearing a jacket is mandatory. At some point of time I felt warm and start removing my jacket for immediately being asked to keep my jacket on by one of the staff member. One of the lead butler also start to talk to us using different foreign language expression, which is fine but at least it should be accurate, especially when he says "Voila, as said in Italy" which made me choke a bit.
In between courses, one of my friend went to the bathroom, we were shocked that the waiters brought us the next dish while our friend was still away. They told us they will bring our friend plate once he is back, but they didn't think that we would not start our dish without our friend back? We end up having our dish less hot than it should be. Bummer! That was very annoying and not that thoughtful for such highly rated restaurant. OK I talked a lot about the service but nothing about the food. Well, there was nothing wowed to report on. The food is excellent, we took the 7 courses menu, which gives you a wide range of products and tastes. The most memorable dishes though are the partridge and quail pithivier with foie gras and black truffle: marvelous! and the beef sirloin in wild mushroom civet: divine!
But again, I was expecting a wow factor, a true culinary experience and journey, it was not the case.
Since it was for a birthday celebration, we were served with extra desert and with a personal copy of the menu and wine served for each of the guest, which was a nice gesture. Would I come back? May be. Would I rush to come back? May be not.

1  Thank mindscapade
TheDinexGroup, General Manager at Daniel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2017

I hope to speak with you soon.

Pierre Siue, Daniel

Reviewed November 16, 2017

What a great evening and loved all the creative and delicious food! The wines had such great selections too! Service was tops and of course the real delight was meeting Chef Daniel too!! I was entertaining top clients and this was a great way to appreciate them and get to know them better. I can definitely recommend this restaurant and would go back again when in NYC.

1  Thank Diane P

What a joy it is to know you had a splendid time dining here at ‘Daniel’. We consider it our privilege to provide an unforgettable meal, great wines, and an exceptional dining experience, so you can relax and enjoy entertaining your clients. Thank you for your terrific compliments as well as for your kind words for Chef Daniel. It is always wonderful when he is here to welcome his guests, and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the City. Gratefully, Pierre Siue, Daniel