“Fabulous Restaurant!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Daniel

Daniel
Reserve with OpenTable
Daniel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 13,489 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Park Avenue
Transit: 68th Street stop, #6 Train.
Athlone
“Fabulous Restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

The best dining experience I've had....(so far anyway!)
This was a honeymoon treat and we loved every minute! We had done a LOT of research on the michelin starred restaurants in NYC before we left Ireland and eventually decided on Daniel! I was very pleased to hear it being mentioned in the film I watched on the flight over (Blue Jasmine!) as up to then, I hadn’t heard of it. We chose the 12 course tasting menu, each course as delicious as the next!
They added an extra dessert with 'congrats' written ont he plate as my husband had informed them we were on our honeymoon.
The waiting staff were so attentive and made us feel very comfortable.
The drinks were also fabulous! We chatted to two lovely barmen in the bar about other michelin starred restaurants in New York and what they would recommend. They were so friendly and very kowledgable!

• Visited January 2014

• Turkish first
Matawan, New Jersey
“Long time NYC favorite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

I have been coming to Daniel for many years now. I have made it a point to visit this restaurant at least twice a year, because I consider it my favorite New York restaurant.

My last visit to this restaurant warranted a trip advisor review...

My wife, our 2 teenage kids (foodies), and I came to Daniel for a special occasion. When we arrived, we were greeted with the usual: welcome back to Daniel. Although we got to the restaurant 25 minutes early for our reservation, we were seated right away, and did not have to wait in the lounge for our table to become available.

We ordered the 3 course pre-fix dinner, which was top notch, creative french cuisine that you would expect from a 3 michelin star establishment. Everything was served efficiently, and the food was delicious. The wait staff and the kitchen did a fantastic job in preparation and service.

However, we did run in to an issue, that I wanted to point out:

Typically, my wife and I share a bottle of wine with dinner. The wine list at Daniel is fantastic, with many choices in all price ranges. However, for the first time at Daniel, we opted for the wine parring. Daniel offers 2 choices for wine parring: a $60 and a $120 option. I asked the waiter what the difference between the wine parings was, and was told that the $120 option was more tailored to my wine taste, instead of the regular wines matched to the dishes we selected. So we decided on the the more expensive option. The sommelier came over to discuss our wine taste, and noted our wine preferences.

When the appetizer was served, we were presented with about 2 - 3 oz pour of wines that did not at all match our preferences. The same was with the main course, and the desert. In all, we were poured a maximum of 9 oz of wine each, for the price of $240. We were very disappointed. In that price range, there are many very nice bottles to choose from on Daniel's wine list, instead of getting a little more then a 1/2 bottle of wines that we did not care for.

Even after this disappointing experience, Daniel still is one of my top favorite restaurants in New York. The food, service, and ambiance are amazing. However, I will never again order their wine paring, and would suggest that other do the same.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rivilis
CT
“Memorable magnificence in all ways”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

There is no question that Daniel has deservedly earned its 3 Michelin stars. This is one of the most elegant, inspirational dining experiences in the U.S., most certainly on a par with the few dozen top restaurants in the world. The decor of the restaurant is old world, with gorgeous high ceilings and not a hint of ostentation to the furnishings. The wait staff is unobtrusive, highly knowledgeable, delighted to accommodate special needs (due to special dietary requirements, allergies, etc.), and the teamwork is somewhat reminiscent of a top ballet company.

The menu is especially broad and intriguing. Appetizers surprise with small bursts of flavor from unexpected sources -- even tiny amounts of peas or pistachios or peaches announce themselves with aplomb to the palate in a most felicitous way. (I should mention that the meal began with three separate amuse bouchées that were delightful and perfect for a summer setting.).

The main courses are absolutely awe inspiring to anyone who really appreciates colossally great food. The stuffed Dover sole was delicate and impressively flavorful. The beef duo of Wagyu beef and the restaurant's signature short ribs in a most original presentation, was heavenly. The preparations of pork that included a sublime pork chop and crackling-crispy pork belly was almost as good as the beef. And the accompanying rolls -- sour dough, sweet garlic, mini-baguettes, multi-grain -- we're almost enough to make a person ask to have the main course packed up in a take out bag so as to allow for an hour or so of just munching the breads.

Desserts were equally dazzling and were then topped by encores of some small chocolates brought to the table the the piece de resistance, the just out of the over cornucopia of madeleines. Words like stupendous and awesome are not out of place in describing this dining experience.

Visited July 2014
Philadelphia, PA
“Upscale Casual”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

The lounge at Daniel is a relatively small, intimate space right off of the Bar at Daniel. My wife and I found it to be very comfortable with an excellent menu and superb, very helpful wait staff. The food was creative. We had one of the best meals that we ever had. My impression was that reservations here were a little easier to get than for the main dining room.

• Visited July 2014
“A Memorable Night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

Great atmosphere, incredible food and pricey wines for one of the best experiences I have ever had in a restaurant. Certainly, this will be a must when visiting New York from now on.

Needless to say: get your wallet ready.

• Visited November 2013