“Upscale Casual”
Review of Daniel

Daniel
Reserve with OpenTable
Daniel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 14,522 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Park Avenue
Transit: 68th Street stop, #6 Train.
Reviewed July 6, 2014

The lounge at Daniel is a relatively small, intimate space right off of the Bar at Daniel. My wife and I found it to be very comfortable with an excellent menu and superb, very helpful wait staff. The food was creative. We had one of the best meals that we ever had. My impression was that reservations here were a little easier to get than for the main dining room.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,896)

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Great atmosphere, incredible food and pricey wines for one of the best experiences I have ever had in a restaurant. Certainly, this will be a must when visiting New York from now on.

Needless to say: get your wallet ready.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

You come to Daniel to spend a lot of money and to enjoy three Michelin star food and service. If you are not prepared to spend (or expense) the requisite amount, don't come. You wont enjoy it!
If, however, you know what you are getting into - you will not be disappointed.

My wife and I enjoyed the seven course Bellacour tasting menu with the wine pairings. As exquisite as the food was the exemplary service we received from each and every one of the wait staff (our main waiter adding in the exact amount of charm and wit).

My wife was particularly taken with the ballet of the manner in which the wait staff would appear and disappear precisely on cue.

This was my third Daniel and her first. My previous two were business. This was personal. The couples are discretely seated around he edge of the main dining room.The larger (mainly business) groups taking the centre of the elegant dining room. The lighting is just a little too dim for my personal liking and I feel that if they just moved the dimmer up a notch or two, there would be a little more life to the place and a touch less "stuffiness." Plus it would be easier to read the menu and to actually look around the room and see its magnificence.

The star of the food (or me) was the cedar wrapped Hamachi. There is not enough space to write about all the food but the quality, timing and taste combinations were excellent.

The wine pairings were interesting and successful. There were a couple of choices that I would not have made alone (such as the Californian Pinot Noir with the Hamachi or even the strawberry rich Hungarian with the first desert) and this is just one of the reasons why you go to somewhere like Daniel to experience gastronomic adventure.

Perfect service - wonderful food - very expensive. Will re-mortgage so I can do it again!

Reviewed July 4, 2014

The many reviews document the culinary at Daniel. I won't repeat the details but offer the perspective of my wife's and my experience eating in the Lounge on a Tuesday night.

First, I made the reservation using Open Table one month out. 8:30 pm and the lounge were the only options. I was surprised to see the main dining room with few tables taken and only about half in the lounge. I wonder if calling direct is better?

We were very impressed throughout the evening by the quality of service. At one point two waiters removed our plates and silverware working in tandem careful not to reach in front of either of us... Almost a ballet. The main waiter was very knowledgeable about all the dishes, provided excellent suggestions, and offered wine by the glass ideas to pair with our main course. I was most impressed that as we finished our appetizers, he noticed we had nearly finished our Veitliner wine by the glass and generously provided a bit more for the final bites. My wife had the foie gras and I had the abalone... Both were incredibly good. The abalone included pickled chayote, very unique. There were 2 amuse bouche offerings, one being 3 variations in cauliflower, and bread before the appetizer.

For the main course my wife had the Dover sole and the waiter appropriately suggested a white Rhone. I had the sucking pig with a Beaujolais that I preferred over the suggested Chateauneuf de Pape. Each dish included several inventive vegetable accompaniments.

For dessert, my wife had the floating island and I had the incredible marzipan/chocolate. And the desserts kept with an amuse bouche of 3 tastings, the most memorable a stuffed cumquat. Then the Madeline's then a morsel of truffle chocolate. There was a long delay between the time we finished our main course and the appetizer. The waiter apologized and I noticed the supplement for the foie gras was not added to the final bill... A subtle and appropriate accommodation.

I wish I could eat my way through the entire menu at Daniel, but I am immensely pleased to have had the fine dining experience at least once.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

The really great, truly special restaurants create magic - a party on your tongue. Daniel never disappoints. The bar is nice enough that it's worth arriving ahead of your reservation to sit there with a pre-dinner cocktail. I go every time I'm in NY.