“Lovely dining experience”
Review of Daniel

Daniel
Reserve with OpenTable
Daniel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 13,936 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Park Avenue
Transit: 68th Street stop, #6 Train.
Reviewed November 7, 2013

With only a weekend in New York, we had only one chance for a date night meal. We chose Daniel. Being from the west coast (where things are much more casual) and only packing for a quick trip, my husband borrowed a jacket for the dinner service, which they were very gracious to do.

Our waiter was wonderful. He took the time to explain the service and the menu. We have had many meals at michelin rated restaurants, and are familiar with tasting menus, however the waiter was very professional to go over how service works. This is a nice touch if you have never done a tasting menu.

We decided to go ala carte and enjoy a three course meal. The food was great. Each course was clever, unique and very tasty. The oysters in sea water gelee was new and surprising. The beef course was cooked to perfection.

The room was beautiful. It had elements of organic design and elegance. If you can't make it for dinner, I'd certainly recommend stopping in for a drink at the bar.

There are newer reviews for Daniel

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I was expecting a very good meal, I must say that I left disappointed..

food was good but except for one dish that shined out, all the other was nothing special.

langoustine - one of my favorite things was tasteless, beef was cold, desert was nothing.

the wine was excellent and the service first class!

we got a lovely tour in the kitchen but when you go to a restaurant it's about the food which wasn't special and the weak link in our evening.

2  Thank robert l
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Having visited some of Englands and London finest restaurant I was eager to see how New York compared on the fine dining stage.... I certainly was not dispapointed.
Daniels dining room is a subtle blend of opulence, elegence and finesse without the stuffyness that the 'jackets must remain on' policy may have suggested. The menu is varied and shows calssic French technique throughout.

My starter of scallops encrusted with liqourice and pistacio added a depth of texture I seldom associate with the scallop..which in turn were meltingly soft.
The duo of beef is a triumph and sits proudly as a signature dish, beautifully cooked and presented.

The wine list is substanital and mostly out of reach for the pockets of most, but a reasonable selection of wines below $50 can be found.

All in all, a wonderful experience enhanced by some lovely touches that push this restaurant toward the top of the fine dining spectrum.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We had booked Daniel for our 25th Wedding Anniversary meal. From the time of booking and throughout the whole meal the service was excellent.

This is really a 'special occasion' venue, and it was nice to dress up and feel that everyone there was making an effort as well.

I had the scallops as an appetizer, and I have to admit they were one of the best things I have ever eaten, and my lamb main course was very good too. The chocolate desert was good but not spectacular.

My only reason for the not 5 stars was that the restaurant was freezing cold, to the extent that I was offered a shawl. They said that the air conditioning gets turned up as the evening progresses, but if you are sitting close to a vent it can be arctic conditions.

We had a lovely evening, with great service and fantastic food, but for over $500 for 2 people, I would not expect to have chattering teeth, and feeling the need to make a quick exit to get warm again.

1  Thank Ives5
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We had a unique dining experience in Daniel. Food and service was just excellent. 3 course menu pleases in every way. Don't miss the desserts!