“A memorable evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Daniel

Daniel
Reserve with OpenTable
Daniel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 13,559 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Park Avenue
Transit: 68th Street stop, #6 Train.
Ottawa, Canada
“A memorable evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were in NYC for the US Open with the kids but got out one evening to dine here as a couple. We were not disappointed although it would have been nice to get into the main dining room as opposed to the lounge area we were in. Service was top notch with just the right amount of interaction and the food was definitely some of the best we've had and we've eaten in many cities around the world. As a former chef, I believe every dish was prepared to the highest standard and close to perfection in treatment and taste. Won't bore anyone with foodie analysis of dishes but suffice to say this was a great dining experience and would recommend to anyone looking for a splash out dinner (not for those on any sort of budget).

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Super fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We did the tasting menu with wine pairing and were delighted at every turn. Each course he presented shared the same core ingredient however each person at the table got a unique dish. The attention to detail is staggeringly beautiful. Go...Go now!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Grant S
New York City, New York
“There are MANY WAAAAAY BETTER RESTAURANTS IN NYC AT THIS PRICE RANGE! DO NOT GO!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

If you are visiting NYC, please DO NOT waste your time and money to go to Daniel just because some brand or star follower read or saw it's a Michelin star restaurant so it must be good. NO, IT IS NOT GOOD. FAR FAR FROM IT. I'VE LIVED IN NEW YORK CITY FOR 15+ YEARS AND I FREQUENT HIGH-END ESTABLISHMENTS AND I'M POSTING THIS FOR ALL YOU VISITORS SO YOU KNOW NOT TO FALL FOR THIS STUPID TRAP. Try Blue HIll (I prefer the one at Stone Barns), Eleven Madison, Per Se,Le Bernardin, Marea, ABC Kitchen, Locanda Verde, or many other places in the city that are waaaayyyyyy BETTER THAN THIS PLACE!

Here's my review for this tourist trap:

Crowd - OLD + miserable. Think - Princess Cruise crowd. YES, many many 60+ seniors or 40+ couples who looked, simply, miserable.

Atmosphere - Quiet, deadly quiet. Dimly lit but not in a romantic way, more in a..... "grandpa needs to go to bed soon" type of way. I guess that explains why this restaurant attracts the older/senior/bored couples crowd.

Service - meets the bare minimum of what you would expect at a Michelin Star restaurant but DEFINITELY missing the passion or lively factor. Unlike many other well-respected establishments in NYC with servers who are not simply knowledgeable about the food they serve, but also passionate about the culinary culture in general, the servers at Daniel does not seem passionate about the restaurant or the food they serve. C'mon now, anyone could memorize the ingredients of a menu!

Food - meets the bare minimum of a Michelin Star restaurant, which means, there's nothing wrong with the execution, the chef definitely knows the proper ways to cook his steak and foie gras, it would be sad if a chef of his reputation does not know how to work with flavors or protein texture...but when I drop $1000 for a dinner for 2 (I picked the $220/pp 8-course chef's tasting menu + wine pairing which is supposed to be the BEST this place has to offer.........), I expect more than just a standard white table cloth meal. WHERE'S THE FRESH PERSPECTIVE?! WHERE'S THE SURPRISE ELEMENT?! ALL THE FLAVORS PUT ME TO SLEEP.

Conclusion - If you LOVE FOOD, or if you are less than 40 years old, or if you are a fun couple who's actually still in love, or if you are an exciting group of friends, or if you are simply a passionate human being, AND you have ~$500/person to spend, PLEASE GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

For those of you new or visiting NYC and thought this place might be "THE" place to try in the big city, I'll help you out and provide a few places I've been to that easily surpasses Daniel for the whole experience and will occasionally cost you a little less:...Blue Hill at Stone Barns, Per Se, Le Bernardin, Eleven Madison, Marea, ABC Kitchen, Locanda Verde....and...sad to say...many many others.

And no...my review isn't based on a random off night at the restaurant, I've been here over 5 times in the last 3 years and this is my conclusion of the place after being disappointed many many times.

This place is however good for one thing - if you forgot to make a reservation at the other reputable restaurants I listed above in the city which typically requires reservation made 1-2months ahead...Daniel always seems to have an opening for last minute reservations...for...obvious reasons if you read my review above....

6 Thank Stephanie I
Scotland
“Best ever...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

We've eaten in a few michelin places, in various cities over the years, and our experience at Daniel was definitely the best. Beautiful food, lovely room, excellent service all combined to make this 20th anniversary meal an exceptional experience.

2 Thank adamscb
New York City, New York
“Excellent service, food was just okay.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Let me preface that I like places that are a bit more laid-back so maybe this just wasn't my type of restaurant.

Positive: The service was very, very good. Probably some of the best I've ever experienced. Waitstaff is very attentive and knowledgable. The decor is beautiful. The bar is exquisite and the dining area itself is quite elegant.

Less-than-positive: The food was pretty good but not great. I had the fois gras appetizer which was tasty. I had the rainbow trout as an entree and while the plating was very beautiful, there was something missing from the flavor. I couldn't pinpoint what it was. I asked my husband to try a bite and he remarked that it tasted "grassy." It kind of killed the experience for me. The dessert was well-prepared but not great tasting.

In short, I think it's good to dine here once in your life, but I don't really know what the fuss is about.

1 Thank Elemenopi