“Daniel, Daniel what happened to Service Thanksgiving day”
Review of Daniel

Daniel
Reserve with OpenTable
Daniel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 14,396 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Park Avenue
Transit: 68th Street stop, #6 Train.
Reviewed November 23, 2012

The place is very nicely appointed and it truly feels like a Restaurant. The family decided to have our Thanksgiving dinner last night there. All was good but service was not. I sat there for more than 10 minutes looking at my plate after I had finished eating. Had to call a waiter. The Turkey was good but the trimminds were not specially the stuffing it tasted to middledeastern for my taste.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,844)

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Having been fortunate enough to eat at Daniel a few years ago, when my husband and I wanted to give our two teenaged daughters a memorable dining experience, we once again decided to eat here. From the moment we entered the restaurant to the moment we left, we were treated to an amazing evening. We were seated at a corner table on the main level, which afforded us a great view of the restaurant. We were unsure what to expect from the service team given that we had our children with us, but our daughters were treated like honored guests. Every detail was handled expertly and the wait staff worked seamlessly to provide what we had hoped for...a true "experience" that only certain restaurants can pull off. The food was simply wonderful. We opted for the wine pairings, and we were struck that every pairing was a success. Having dined at other highly rated restaurants, we recognize how difficult it can be to hit each course out of the proverbial park. However, this team certainly knows how to work together to make both the food and the wine play off each other in lovely ways. With so many fine restaurants in NYC at which to dine, there are very few that we would want to visit over and over again. Daniel, however, is the exception to the rule. Our entire family looks forward to our next visit.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

For the past couple of years, our family has started a tradition of going to NYC for a pre-Thanksgiving dinner and usually try to pick a higher-end restaurant to go to. After checking out various sites such as zagat, yelp and tripadvisor, Daniel just kept popping up as one of the top 5, and not one reviewer had anything really negative to say. I called just around noon to see if they had a table for tonight and to find out if they had anything that my 11 yr may like, given that she is quite picky and sticks to food she knows. She said right away that the kitchen can make her something to her liking if she does not find anything on the menu to order.

We had reservations for 6 pm, but unfortunately, got stuck in traffic entering the city; so I called at 5:40 to let them know we could not make it by 6; they graciously moved us to 8 pm; and when we got there much sooner than we thought (7:15), they did not give us any trouble and seated us right away.

My hubby and I had went for the prix fixe menu (which surprisingly, included ANYTHING from the menu- other restaurants have a limited selection if you opt for the prix fixe menu) - he had the ceviche, the lamb and the peanut butter feutille; while I chose the prawns, suckling pig tasting (crispy belly and chop) and Kenya coffee ganache. They had complimentary tastings; to start - various carrot dishes (3 little servings set on a silver tiered tray -some sort of puree, a ceviche, and salmon tartare?); some kind of orange flavored biscuits and a variety of tiny desserts that were all yummy. My fussy eater/daughter ate 2 of their garlic parmesan focaccia rolls.

What impressed me most is how they catered to my 11 yr old - most gourmet restaurants do not have a kids' menu; and you sort of have to get an expensive meal which you hope will not be too exotic for a kid's palate. Our waiter right away told me that they would adapt any of their menu items for her; or make her a dish to her liking. She did decide to try their roasted chicken - but chose to have the sauce simplified; he alsoasked what veggies she liked to eat - broccoli and spinach. Well, her food came along with our appetizers - the chicken breast was very tasty and the broccoli cooked perfectly; the bowtie pasta had the spinach incorporated into it, which tells me they were freshly made. He offered to have them make a fruit cocktail for her (pear, pomegranate and I forget what else) since they did not have the apple juice she wanted; it came and tasted very fresh, very good - but she did not like it so she gave it to her dad. When our waiter saw this, he came over and offered her another drink - the orange juice she ended up with tasted freshly squeezed.

Dessert time came; since our prix fixe included this, we only ordered 2 - my husband giving his up to my daughter - when they served it, we were surprised when they gave my husband a dessert on the house ("in case no one shares with you") - some kind of fruit/pineapple thing (sorry, did not hear what it was) that was very refreshing.

I cannot compliment the service staff enough - they were like ninjas, suddenly materializing, bearing plates of heavenly food. I always worry when I go to really nice restaurants that their staff may be intimidating and snotty - this was not even a concern from the time I called to make our reservation until the time we walked out - they were warm and accomodating throughout. And the attention they paid to my daughter, ensuring that she was satisfied, really brought the service up several levels, in my opinion.

Yes, it is a bit pricey but the service and food quality is well worth every cent. I would recommend this to anybody who wants to feel spoiled and pampered for a few hours.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Long story short, we took the wrong subway to the middle of Brooklin and back and was an hour late. We call 45 minutes after our reservation (no signal in the subway) and ask them if we would still make the Broadway show we already bought tickets for. We have maybe an hour and 15 minutes. The person on the phone was extremely courteous and suggested we only have the appertizer and the main course; go to the show, and come back for dessert. Wow, that's really taking care of their customers in a bind. The food was great and worth the 3 stars from Michelin. We were able to squeeze in the dessert and was at the theater with 5 minutes to spare. All in all, a great experience except for the extra hour train ride. We will definitely go back and hopefully will not be as rush next time. A+ for service.

1  Thank Edwin L
Reviewed November 21, 2012

except Incredible!!!! My husband surprised me by taking me here for our first wedding anniversary. We both had the tasting menus and the wines they paired it with were spectacular. The service is lovely, elegant yet not pretentious. Be sure to have their signature white cosmopolitan...it is a delight for the eyes and the palate.

1  Thank Robin B