“Unmet high expectations. Freezing conditions.”
Review of Daniel

Daniel
Reserve with OpenTable
Daniel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 14,592 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Park Avenue
Transit: 68th Street stop, #6 Train.
Reviewed October 2, 2012

With Michelin rating Daniel Boulud's restaurant failed to wow us. Our waitstaff Giovanni was faultless and we handed a $80 tip. We both had the 3 course dinner but both ordered dishes with supplementary fees of $14, myself with the duck foie gras which was perfectly cooked and the foei grad stuffed grouse which I found too gamey but my partner thought was ok as was a tad dry with all ten prep work. My main was a duet of pork, cooked well with few small morsels of crispy roast prom. Good but not spectacular. Sauce was very good. The veges served with both plates were root winter veges. The weather was 70 that day and probably chilled to 58 in the restaurant as I met a fellow diner in the ladies who had goosebumps on her arms. Wasn't jut me then. Dessert was lovely, chocolate corlant(fondant) was gooey inside. Choco tower with parfait, rice crackles, mousses as good. Free pineapple dessert came as well which was nice. Tiny morsels of petit four to finish off. Very good but not brilliant. Oh yes, really rude front reception girls when we showed the cloakroom ticket and asked about calling a taxi, she just pointed out toward the door. Giovanni came to the rescue and hailed a taxi from round the corner for us. Saved the evening.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,925)

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Excellent service from the 1st to the last minute. Friedly, professional, well organized.

Impressive wine list. You can have an Yquem for USD 10,000 or a NZ Sauvignon for USD 55. The spread is unusual for a top restaurant and it should be praised (!).

Food is very nice. The expectations are so high (given all the great ratings) that they are easy not to be met. We had a nice starter, excellent and a nice main course, and a fabulous desert.

The interior is well designed given no windows (and therefore no views :)).

All in all - it is great (although not a place you would visit every week.

1  Thank jajalumaca
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This is not an every day restaurant. Came for my birthday and loved it. It is expensive but you get top class food, service and surroundings. For a one off treat it is worth it!

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Let me start with the positice : Definitely a place for a special event. The service is unbelievable , you finsh your plate , three very polite young men are clearing your table and its gone in a second ( like Men in Black scene) . The appetizers I thought were a decent serving and it was delicious. The entree however , I am sorry come on. yes it tastes good but by your second bite its gone so you cant really judge how good it was . We ordered , the suckling pig , which was the size of a half of a normal chop, I had the two way beef which was tenderloin and short rib I think , way too little for the extra you have to pay out side the prix fix meal and the sea bass. The sea bass was slighly bigger than one slice of a sushi roll. They fill you up with the extras. Lots of bread etc........All in and all the experience was great because of the service and ambience ... would I pay that price twice ...nah not worth it. The hype is an image for exclusivity.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Disappointing for such an expensive restaurant with 3 stars--or 4 now? Dessert got sent back. Food was bland. But attentive service.

2  Thank Gail T