“Pizza by Times Square”

Ranked #245 of 14,144 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Located in a unique 19th century church, the country's largest pizzeria is the perfect budget-friendly location for small and large groups to enjoy NY's famous thin-crust, brick oven pizza. Founded in 1997, John's is conveniently located in Times Square, and is the ideal restaurant to enjoy pre- and post-theater meals with family and friends. Capable of seating 400 people, John's can handle groups of any size gracefully in a NY minute
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I am a native New Yorker and a pizza snob. I think the quality goes down exponentially further you get away from New York City period. I always like the local joints in Bay Ridge and Bensenhurst in Brooklyn however, this place comes close at the touristy Times Square. Like they used to say in my old neighborhood, nobody from New York eats nothing at the Times Square.

Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

If you have a hankering for some great NYC pizza.. Look elsewhere. While the pizza has a good crust from the ovens, the flavors were bland at best. We tried white pizza with ricotta and the margherita pizza. Both were disappointing. The garlic rolls were ok but not memorable. Beware of the red wine. Full of sediment and tasted like vinegar. The white was drinkable. We chose this place for its location to the theaters. We won't make that mistake again.

1  Thank Bonnie O
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We all got different kinds of pizza so we could sample. They all were delicious! And the building is very pretty -- an old church

Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

After reading the good reviews, I looked forward to trying out John's. I even heard good things about this place from a stranger on the flight to NYC! I would rate their pizza as average by NYC standards. There was just too much crust. The pasta arrabiata was very good. The service was good...we were seated very quickly and the food took a reasonable time to prepare. Pizzas are reasonably priced especially if you order a big one to share. I enjoyed the atmosphere especially for a very cold evening. A must see at the restaurant is to have a look at the ceiling...it is beautiful!

Reviewed March 5, 2014

This is the most atmospheric location to eat John's Pizza, since it's in a beautiful converted church, but whether you eat at the Times Square location or the original Greenwich Village location, you still get the most tasty pies and pasta with wonderful toppings. I've steered many tourists and locals alike to this place and they always thank me afterwards.

The only slight negatives - there is usually a wait to get a table at the Times Square location (but it's worth it) and the bathrooms could usually use a good cleaning.