“from the front, it's non-descript & easily passable... but the stained glass/fresco'ed interior is gorgeous, and...”

John's of Times Square
Ranked #230 of 13,937 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Located in a unique 19th century church, the country's largest pizzeria is the perfect budget-friendly location for small and large groups to enjoy NY's famous thin-crust, brick oven pizza. Founded in 1997, John's is conveniently located in Times Square, and is the ideal restaurant to enjoy pre- and post-theater meals with family and friends. Capable of seating 400 people, John's can handle groups of any size gracefully in a NY minute
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 5, 2008

from the front, it's non-descript & easily passable... but the stained glass/fresco'ed interior is gorgeous, and the pizza is delicious (also recommended, the "rolls"

There are newer reviews for John's of Times Square

San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 28, 2008

OK pizza. Lame meatballs

Reviewed March 28, 2008

John's Pizzeria (located across from the Majestic Theatre) is one of the best-kept secrets in NY. A favorite with folks who work backstage at the Broadway theatres, it's famous for its linguini and clam sauce. Best value in NYC.

Reviewed March 19, 2008

I have only been to John's once, and it was on the advice of the NYC forum, which called John's Pizzeria "the best pizza in Times Square". Hubby and I arrived around 8:30pm on a Saturday evening in early March, and there was no wait for a table though they were clearly busy. I had one of the better cosmos I've ever had, though at $14 it had better be good! We ordered a small serving of garlic bread (without cheese) and when it was placed on the table it was pretty good sized, and hubby said "we only ordered the SMALL size", to which the server replied, "this IS the small size"! What I absolutely loved about the garlic bread is that it had lots of tiny bits of fresh garlic all over the top, and I am a garlic lover so this was perfect. Hubby, who was the one who wanted the garlic bread in the first place, decided it had too MUCH garlic for him and only ate one piece (though it was easy enough to simply brush the garlic off the bread). It took a while for the pizza and I was starving after walking a zillion miles earlier in the day, so I kept eating the garlic bread....wrong thing to do because when the pizza came.....I wasn't all that hungry anymore!
The pizza too was bigger than we thought, we ordered the smallest size and there were 6 very large pieces. I'm really glad it is thin crust because that is the only kind I will usually eat. We had the margherita sauce (you get to choose what sauce you want) with pepperoni and black olives. It was quite delicious. We will absolutely go back if we are hungry and in the neighborhood! The atmosphere was nice, not too loud, and what I really liked was that we got a nice roomy booth, not like so many other places we ate where we were super crowded against the next table so much that it was hard for the inside person to get out.
Very good pizza, a little more expensive than what we're used to paying, but not over the top expensive. Worth trying!

Reviewed March 3, 2008

The pizza's good and the wall of drawing is incredible, but it's a bit noisy, though perfect for large parties. thin crust pizza, no wait for Sunday night, can get pricey if you add lots of toppings; they were all like $2 a piece to add