“Excellent Pizza, as always!”

John's of Times Square
Ranked #249 of 14,144 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Located in a unique 19th century church, the country's largest pizzeria is the perfect budget-friendly location for small and large groups to enjoy NY's famous thin-crust, brick oven pizza. Founded in 1997, John's is conveniently located in Times Square, and is the ideal restaurant to enjoy pre- and post-theater meals with family and friends. Capable of seating 400 people, John's can handle groups of any size gracefully in a NY minute
Reviewed March 13, 2013

John's is always a favorite stop for whenever I'm in NYC - the pizza is usually very good, but the service can be very slooooow. Overall, enjoyable, but just be prepared for a wait for a table or slow service. Try the garlic knots, they are pretty tasty!

Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Large place (wouldn't know it from the street), used to be a church. If you are looking for a quick sit down meal, this will work. It's not a corner pizza by the slice place, you need to buy a whole pie, but small size is fine for two. Pizza was okay, but just average. Location is good if you plan on seeing a Broadway show, we went for lunch before seeing a matinee. Service is fast as they want quick turnover. Prices are what you'd expect for the venue off Times Square. Lots of tourists.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I love eating at Johns and make it a point to visit each time I have been to New York City. Tonight, I was very disappointed with my visit. Our server seemed to be overwhelmed and only paid attention to our table when I stared him down to let him know we needed something. My daughter was drinking iced tea and her glass was empy, so I had to flag him down. I wanted parmesan cheese and had to flag him down. I wanted another beer and had to flag him down. I had to request the check and a to go box as well. No one ever approached our table to see if we needed anything or to ask if everything was okay. Lastly, I was very surprised and disappointed to find out that the $2.50 iced tea did not have free refils. So, the iced tea I had to flag the server for cost
me $5.00!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Reading the reviews, I must have had an atypical experience at John's. I had lunch there on Saturday and was very disappointed with the pizza. I am a born and bred New Yorker and I would like to think I know -- and have had hundreds of -- good pizzas. And I have lived in the mid-west and south for the last 33 years and I certainly know bad pizza. And this was average pizza at best.

Dining with a friend, we ordered the traditional pizza with Italian sausage. We were seated quickly and ordered, before the tourist crowds lined up inside and outside the place. After a 25 minute wait, I asked our waitress about the status of our pizza. She checked and told us that it would be up in two or three minutes. And it was, arriving at our table as one of the most poorly prepared pizzas I had ever seen in NYC. The tomato sauce was not ladled evenly around the pizza leaving huge gaps around the outer perimeter of the pizza. The sauce was covered with a far too thin layer of mozzarella and topped with the skimpiest scattering of Italian sausage crumbles imaginable. In truth, the crumbles were visible on only three of the six slices and, if present on the other three, barely registered in flavor. And, as I discovered, a portion of the thin crust must have been broken off two of the slices when removed from the oven because those two slices had only sauce and cheese at their tips.

Now remember this small, six slice thin (and partially nonexistent) crust pizza cost $14 plus $2.75 for the topping. And, folks, the beer selection is nothing to write home about either. Nice to have Brooklyn Lager on draft but, along with the standards -- Blue Moon, Stella Artois, Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Yuengling, and Bud products -- there is nothing here that anyone should consider distinctive.

I did appreciate the interior and in doing so, I know I violated one of my cardinal rules about dining: if the establishment touts its looks and is located in a tourist mecca, you will pay for looks and won't be served quality food. Sadly, that cardinal rule was reinforced at John's.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

John's is a great place to enjoy Italian Food ranging from Pizza, Subs and delicious pasta dishes! our favorite is the Fettucini Alfredo with Chicken. Superb sauce and perfect seasoning. The garlic bread is wonderful...get an order with or without cheese...both are delish. Pizza is excellent with many options that appeal to all. Prices are very reasonable and quality is tops. Gets very busy on matinee days, get there when they open at 11:30 and you will have a great visit.