“The best kept secret in NYC -- I love this place!”

John's of Times Square
Ranked #237 of 13,548 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Located in a unique 19th century church, the country's largest pizzeria is the perfect budget-friendly location for small and large groups to enjoy NY's famous thin-crust, brick oven pizza. Founded in 1997, John's is conveniently located in Times Square, and is the ideal restaurant to enjoy pre- and post-theater meals with family and friends. Capable of seating 400 people, John's can handle groups of any size gracefully in a NY minute
athens, ny
“The best kept secret in NYC -- I love this place!”
Reviewed March 28, 2008

John's Pizzeria (located across from the Majestic Theatre) is one of the best-kept secrets in NY. A favorite with folks who work backstage at the Broadway theatres, it's famous for its linguini and clam sauce. Best value in NYC.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Delicious pizza!”
Reviewed March 19, 2008

I have only been to John's once, and it was on the advice of the NYC forum, which called John's Pizzeria "the best pizza in Times Square". Hubby and I arrived around 8:30pm on a Saturday evening in early March, and there was no wait for a table though they were clearly busy. I had one of the better cosmos I've ever had, though at $14 it had better be good! We ordered a small serving of garlic bread (without cheese) and when it was placed on the table it was pretty good sized, and hubby said "we only ordered the SMALL size", to which the server replied, "this IS the small size"! What I absolutely loved about the garlic bread is that it had lots of tiny bits of fresh garlic all over the top, and I am a garlic lover so this was perfect. Hubby, who was the one who wanted the garlic bread in the first place, decided it had too MUCH garlic for him and only ate one piece (though it was easy enough to simply brush the garlic off the bread). It took a while for the pizza and I was starving after walking a zillion miles earlier in the day, so I kept eating the garlic bread....wrong thing to do because when the pizza came.....I wasn't all that hungry anymore!
The pizza too was bigger than we thought, we ordered the smallest size and there were 6 very large pieces. I'm really glad it is thin crust because that is the only kind I will usually eat. We had the margherita sauce (you get to choose what sauce you want) with pepperoni and black olives. It was quite delicious. We will absolutely go back if we are hungry and in the neighborhood! The atmosphere was nice, not too loud, and what I really liked was that we got a nice roomy booth, not like so many other places we ate where we were super crowded against the next table so much that it was hard for the inside person to get out.
Very good pizza, a little more expensive than what we're used to paying, but not over the top expensive. Worth trying!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The pizza's good and the...”
Reviewed March 3, 2008

The pizza's good and the wall of drawing is incredible, but it's a bit noisy, though perfect for large parties. thin crust pizza, no wait for Sunday night, can get pricey if you add lots of toppings; they were all like $2 a piece to add

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“My Dad's favorite pizza...”
Reviewed February 8, 2008

My Dad's favorite pizza and a GREAT space. I love that mural, and the pizza is some of the best I've ever had!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Vancouver, Canada
“Service was unfreindly, but the pizza was excellent!”
Reviewed January 14, 2008

We arrived at this place around 5:30pm on a rainy evening on the 26th of December and had to wait around forty minutes to be seated. This place was just packed and people were squeezed in like Sardines. Everyone was brushing up against each other and you actually had to push past people a little to get by them. The crowds were intense and if you have a hard time standing still and waiting (or have young kids) then this may not be the place for you. At the very least, I would recommend coming here slightly earlier for dinner, although still plan to wait, maybe just not so long. I imagine that many people made pre-theater plans to eat here, so try not to come during this time as it is almost chaotic.

After a long wait, we were seated in a small table in the middle of the restaurant. Our server took his time to serve us, but they were very busy. We only saw our server three times: once, when he took our order, second, when he brought us our drinks and pizza, and lastly, when he served us our bill. No effort was taken to ask us how our meal and or thank us. On the flip side, although the service wasn't very friendly, we had no problems with our food and we received it relatively quick.

The pizza itself was very good. We found they were more generous with the toppings, than the location on Bleeker St, but this could very well be the opposite the next time around. The pizza crust was cooked crisp and golden and the toppings and sauce is about as good as it gets.

I'm deducting a point due to the fact that our server made no effort to smile or ask us how our pizza was and we saw so little of him, even though he rushed back and forth from our table about thirty times during our meal. Also, a bathroom with only one stall is totally inadequate for a restaurant of this size.

I will definitely come back to John's Pizzeria, however, I think I'd pass on the Times Square spot and make a special trip to the Bleeker Street location to avoid the mad rush.

1 Thank timbuk2