“So So”

Philip Marie Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Philip Marie Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #573 of 14,130 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: West 11th Street
Transit: A C or E Trains to 14th Street and 8th Avenue. B D F or M Trains to West 4th Street. 1 2 or 3 Trains to Christopher Street. M20 Bus to Hudson Street and West 11th Street.
Description: Innovative American Cuisine, Great Specials & More...If you've not yet discovered Philip Marie, a neighborhood gem in the heart of the West Village, you're in for a real treat. It's here that Executive Chef and Owner John Philip Greco III works his culinary magic in an environment steeped in New York City's hidden past. Despite its historic setting, replete with secret underground passages, a former speak-easy and the shadows of a 200-year old love story, the restaurant's concept and menu exhibit the young, hip creative take on "good ol' American food" with which the owner opened his brain-child 15 years ago. Philip Marie's main dining room continues to set the stage for some of the most innovative American dishes in New York, including wild game, exotic meats, fresh seafood and irresistible desserts. An extensive Wine List & Reserve list, boasting incredible wines from around the world, enables a perfect wine-food pairing for each luscious course, while the bar offers unique cocktails. A warm and attentive staff helps to maintain Philip Marie's extremely devoted clientele.
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Cozy decor, nice waiter, good wine, but we really didn't care for the food at all. Very so so.
Ordered the spinach and artichoke stuffed chicken breast (was told it was one of the most popular by the waiter), and had to scrape out the mush like stuffing.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We rocked up here without a reservation on a Saturday evening and were ushered into the middle of an busy vibrant restaurant. The service as with most places is NYC was efficient and friendly. Lots of water to start and then a varied wine list. We only had a main, but the quality was exceptional. The dishes included the thickest pork chop I have ever seen and a chicken stuffed with spinach and other great things. Plenty of it, fresh quality ingredients and a lovely vibe about the place, and the bill was surprisingly good too! Make it one of your eating stops if visiting NYC.

2  Thank Arxitravels
Reviewed November 3, 2013

My wife and I had dinner with another couple and their three teenage children after a show on the recommendation of a friend. We had a fantastic dinner, with great, well-crafted food, an affordable menu and great service. While hanging out for drinks before our reservations, I got the impression that this place is a favorite of locals, and for good reason. The bar has a good scotch selection and some whiskeys I had never seen before, carried I was told, because regulars requested them and so they're kept on hand. Also eating nearby us were an extended family with younger kids celebrating a grandparent's birthday, couples and small groups, so you get an idea of the kind of place this is (they also have a kids' menu). It wasn't that crowded when we got there around 6 PM, however by 9:30 the restaurant was packed, so make reservations.

The restaurant has a very comfortable feel, and it is small, so it's not intimate, but not exclusive either and very welcoming. The menu is the same, with a really interesting mix of comfort food like chicken pot pie and paella along with fine dining items wild boar and bone-in filet. Everyone at our table had a great meal. We were given complimentary smoked salmon toasts and wild mushroom toasts normally on the bar menu that were fantastic. I had the Eastern Roasted Oysters while my good friend had the raw oysters and our wives and the kids shared two Baked Brie appetizers. Entrees ordered included the wild boar, stuffed chicken breast, salmon, and bone-in filet. We waited maybe a tad bit long for our entrees, however right when I was about to say something to my buddy, everything started being served and was cooked perfectly. The presentation was great and well worth what was maybe a small extended wait (probably due to my wife's well done filet - which was still fantastic even though she insists on having it cooked through). Although I shouldn't have gotten involved with the others in dessert, I did, and they didn't disappoint either. The carrot cake was fantastic, as well as chocolate mousse cake, and I didn't try the other dishes but everyone loved what they ordered.

The menu is very affordable for New York, with regular entrees ranging from $16 to $26, and with some specials priced higher. Starters, salads, desert items, etc. are also similarly affordable. Cocktails, wine, after dinner drinks, etc. were all priced below or at average New York City prices. The menu is a fantastic value for the quality and type of food at these prices.

Both our friends and my wife and I cannot wait until we're able to come back and enjoy Philip Marie again!

2  Thank Greg P
Reviewed November 1, 2013

The food at Philip Marie is very nice, indeed, but the space itself isn't comfortable, e.g., tables too close together, people back to back, etc....and the noise level is way too high. The service, while friendly, just isn't at the level one would expect considering the ambitious, gourmet menu and prices at Philip Marie.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Love coming here for diner with friends. It's very welcoming and they have a space downstairs for a small private celebration or business meeting. Service is always great and food is on point.

1  Thank Drinkthiseatthat