“Great for afterwork drinks/wings”
Review of The Hog Pit

The Hog Pit
Ranked #3,335 of 13,826 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Description: THE HOG PIT NYC, FOUNDED IN 1995, IS LOCATED IN THE THRIVING CHELSEA/ FLATIRON AREA OF NYC. AND IT FITS RIGHT IN. Where else can you drink $2 pbr's and feast on some of the best southern cuisine in the city? Y'all should know at the Hog Pit we are committed to providing fresh, homemade, mouth-watering food to go along with our genuine hospitality. We pride ourselves on our loyal guests and employees, and for being a wonderful neighborhood place to have great fun. Some of you may remember the Hog Pit when it was located in the Meat Packing District of NYC. Well, the legend continues at 37 W 26th St. As we like to say: SO GOOD, YOU'LL SQUEAL.
Norwalk, Connecticut
“Great for afterwork drinks/wings”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

This is a great place in flatiron for after work drinks and beer food. It tends to get pretty busy after 6 p.m., so if you can sneak out at 5, its worth it so you don't have to stand.

• Visited March 2014

Brooklyn NY
“Hog Heaven”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

My wife and I went here today, 1/17/14, and the first thing that hit us as we walked in the door was that barbecue sauce aroma, it makes you hungry. The server immediately came over and we were sitting within 2 minutes, literally, despite it being lunchtime and busy. By the time 5 minutes passed we had our drinks, menu and had to tell the server to give us another 5 minutes to decide, this service is unheard of in Manhattan. I can't tell you how many times my wife and I have waited to be seated in a restaurant , and not when it is busy, only to be forgotten about once seated. These people are on their game.

Anyway, the Crispy Pork Shank looked good so I inquired about it to the server. He explained every detail of preparation, ingredients of the sauce etc.- moral of the story-by the time he was done explaining it I was visualizing myself eating it. He did warn me it takes a little longer to prepare, my wife ordered the pulled pork. Meanwhile I had some ice cold Red Hook IPA. while I looked around the place. It is a cozy atmosphere that makes you feel at home, whether it's your neighborhood bar or you and your business buddies want to talk shop over good food and cold beer, without all the stuffiness.

Out came the food, the pork shank was over mashed potatoes so I went to cut some meat off the bone and it fell off before I could cut into it, only needed the fork. The pork was moist, cooked perfectly, more importantly, the barbecue sauce was light, with just enough sweetness, not too sweet or molasses-heavy, with a little pepper bite at the end. It was one of the top 3 barbecue sauces I ever had. Having been a butcher for 25 years, I have had all kinds and this sauce was so good my wife, who doesn't like anything, finished all of her pulled pork and was using the sauce for her french fries, unprecedented in her world, and she asked for more. This will be a regular place for us even though we have to travel from Brooklyn, well worth it.

• Visited January 2014
Boston
“Great non pretentious local bar”
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Great friends, relaxed atmosphere!! Great drinks and prime rib BBQ the best in town! Love it here everytime I go to NYC! Owners hang there too. They enjoy their own place! I love it!

Timonium, Maryland
“OK - Not Great....”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stopped in The Hog Pit in order to utilize a restaurant.com certificate. At least we did not pay full price for our food. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. The wings I ordered, were cooked perfectly, but lacked in flavor and sauce. My husbands pulled pork was OK. It probably would have been a better experience if our bartender was less abrasive and more friendly. The bartender spent more time chatting with wait staff then with the bar customers.

• Visited November 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Surprisingly tasty food”
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Decent spot with well priced food. Pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw was absolutely delicious but unfortunately the mac n cheese wasn't to my taste, but could very well be others.

• Visited November 2013