“Great Place To Have Coffee and Eat Pastries Near Columbia University”

Hungarian Pastry Shop
Ranked #33 of 461 Coffee & Tea in New York City
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Melbourne Australia
“Great Place To Have Coffee and Eat Pastries Near Columbia University”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Had my first visit to the Pastry Shop this afternoon and it was a very sweet and pleasant occasion. Four or five blocks south of Columbia University on the Upper West Side's Amsterdam Avenue, this is a natural drop by place for Columbia's faculty and students. The Pastry Shop itself is nothing to write home about as far as decoration goes: very utilitarian in fact and a little dingy as well. But the coffee was excellent and the pastries we had were top class. I got the impression that the management wouldn't turf you out if you wanted to read or use your laptop so this would be a nice place to spend an hour schmoozing or reading.

• Visited September 2012

• Finnish first
Barcelona
“The best place to drink a coffe and eat lot of amazing pastries.”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Near St. John's Cathedral and Columbia University, it is a great place to have a break in the morning and drink good coffee and amazing pastries.
I will come back soon for sure!

• Visited September 2011
Washington State
“Great cream puffs and coffee”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I read about this place via various review sites and sought it out for a place to sit and read a book while enjoying some coffee. It definitely fit the bill. I had a very good Hungarian coffee and cream puff. This appears to be a great spot to linger and enjoy some coffee and pastries nearby Columbia. Some mentioned that the counter service was aloof but they were polite and helpful. They also leave you alone to sit and enjoy your time in the shop, so I appreciated that.

• Visited August 2012
New York City, New York
“Wow!!”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

This is possibly the best patry shop in Manhattan! The cake napoleon was to die for! The chocolate cake was unforgetable to my palate! This is one place I like to return to, over and over, again and again.

Visited June 2012
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“After all the years.....”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

...I still enjoy the Hungarian Pastry Shop, and recommend it to Episcopalian friends who have reason to visit the Catherdral across the street. It is a place I frequented in the 1970s while doing graduate work at Columbia, and I made another visit in May, 2012.

I'm pleased to report that the place is as good as I remember! My wife and I visited the cathedral, after which she said that she wanted to take an afternoon break (she had recently had spinal fusion surgery). As we were meeting friends later, I suggested that taking a rest would preclude a visit to the pastry shop. She said that the shop sounded like just the place to take a break - good choice! We both enjoyed our freshly baked, tasty treats, sitting at their outside seating, with a fine view of the cathedral and the children's sculpture garden. I'm certain that we will return, having rediscovered this place after many years.

• Visited May 2012