“Best Meal This Trip!! Thank you Claudio and Sam”

Bobby Van's Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Bobby Van's Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,241 of 14,396 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Park Avenue
Transit: We are located just steps away from Grand Central Station.
Description: Located in New York's landmark Helmsley Building, Bobby Van's Steakhouse has been serving the best porterhouse in town for the last eleven years. Upon entering, one is greeted with the sight of a credenza groaning under the weight of large bottles of wine. A bar full of regular customers is on the left and looking into the one-hundred seat dining room, one sees the thirty foot high ceiling and windows overlooking Park Avenue. To complement our Prime Aged Steaks our Sommelier has created an award winning wine list. Whether you're looking for a big Cabernet, a Pinot Noir or something in between our comprehensive list is sure to please. "
Reviewed December 18, 2012

To begin, I have to admit I gave my parents the wrong restaurant address when we should've been at this address, so we were a tiny bit late for our reservation. They were very understanding and seated us within minutes of our arrival.
It was just my folks and I for dinner and we had the pleasure of having Claudio and Sam work as a team to wait on us! What a team they were and what an absolutely enjoyable dinner was made even better! We had SUCH fun and WHAT an incredible dinner!
I love a good steakhouse, but my Filet Oscar that night was just melt in your mouth! The crab meat appetizer was absolutely scrumptious!!!
I will tell you though, having Claudio and Sam be our team made dinner that much more enjoyable. They made sure we had everything that we needed, Claudio is from Albania but is a very proud to be in our country and is excited to learn about the different parts of New York outside the city and does SUCH a great job. Sam is a very proud Dad of three kids that really enjoys what he does and the team he works with.
It is having a team like this that makes a restaurant so successful and just makes the experience that much better. We almost always eat here when we have business in the city and now we'll be sure to come back!!

Reviewed December 13, 2012

We had been staying between fifth and park for a few nights and already eaten at Keenes and Quality Meats (both booked in advance via Tripadvisor and Top Table well before the holiday). We then very fortunately stumbled accross this steakhouse on the way back from shopping, and what a find!
From arrival and the 'larger than life warmest welcome' from the Maitre De, this was the best. We did drinks that lunchtime and then booked for the evening. The bar staff, the hostess, the waiters were all attentive and so friendly; the food was to the highest quality. We both had shrimp (huge!) follwed by filler mignon and ribeye, and not only was the meat beautifully cooked it was succulent and juicy.
Nothing was too much trouble, and the excellent tone set by the original Maitre De flowed on throughout our visit. We should have known this was going to be good as it appeared all to be locals and that says it all!
This is the steakhouse to go to whilst in NYC - we are stunned that others rate so much better on Tripadvisor, but not for 'us'.
(There is only one minus for this place - it's very noisy! But that just adds to the atmosphere and you are in New York, go with it, plus fully booked places are loud.)

Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

In New York for thanksgiving weekend. Was just on the way back to hotel for dinner when passed this restaurant and we decided to go in. Had a green leaf salad for starter with the most amazing salad dressing I have ever tasted. Steak for main course that just melted in your mouth. No room for dessert (maybe next time). Yes a little expensive but still dreaming of the steak.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Energetic crowd if maybe a bit clubby. We went pre-theatre so the focus was on time. We had some issues with the food. My lobster was tough and a friend's lamb chops gamey. I pity the kitchen when someone orders a well-done steak. A friend did. They butterflied a petite filet, but it looked medium rare to me. I would recommend Harry's salad. We'll give this another try.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

It's exactly what you'd expect, good steaks and seafood, typical steakhouse appetizers and sides, good service.