“Way overrated, no better than any good NY pizza.”

Joe's Pizza - Carmine St
Ranked #78 of 14,032 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: West Village
Description: Since 1975, the family-owned Greewich Village Institution. Serving the quintessential slice of New York. Now, proud to announce our first expansion in 38 years! You can also visit us at (Joe's Pizza - 14st) 150 E. 14th St.
Reviewed July 11, 2013

As visitors to NYC for two months we had to try Joe's pizza due to the hype. We asked for two pepperoni and a regular slice. They were served to us directly from the counter slices. The two pepperoni were cold, regular was mildly warm. So either Joe's serves it that way or you have to ask for hot pizza at Joe's. I then watched six more people walk in and ask for a slice the same way I did, and their slices were promptly tossed in the oven from the same counter trays we were served from. Not one person said "A hot slice please". I guess you have to be a local or know the password to get a hot slice. I then went to the counter and asked for another slice and again it was served cold. I asked "could I have it heated please?" and the response was "oh, you want it heated?". Everyone else looked like me and asked for a slice like me, yet I was served cold pizza. How did the warm slice taste? No better than the slices available from three pizzerias 1/2 a block away from my apartment in Queens. That all serve hot slices routinely. I would rate a warm slice 3, but mine wasn't warm.

3  Thank JayLynch

Reviewed June 29, 2013

If you want authentic NY Pizza .. look no further. However, I am not a huge NY style fan (give me Chicago deep dish any day!). But, we were with two locals who inhaled the stuff.. and it had good flavor. They do seem to burn it a little more black/brown on the crust than I care for personally. But, it is cheap, you can buy by the slice and it is just what you have to get if you are in NYC. It's an institution!

It is better to take and run than to try and eat there ..

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Loved Joe's! We ate there several times while visiting the West Village. It's a great place to grab a slice.

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

This is a walk in/out place. Fresh mozzarella pizza by the slice. Hot, fresh, fast, $3 with all the charm of the Village. On a beautiful day walk right across the street and grab a park bench while you chow.
Don't miss it!!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

So many pizza places in New York, this is our familys favorite though, great prices big slices and always fresh.
If you go past this place make sure you stop in and have a try, hopefully it will become your favorite aswell.