“Absolutely delish !”

Neighborhood: East Village
Los Angeles, California
“Absolutely delish !”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Seen this restaurant on Anthony Bourdains tv show. booked a weekend to NY and it was exactly as I thought. Delish. And even better was the owner or owners wife. She was so friendly and welcoming. She was just as special as the food. Thank you for a great dining experience. We will be back.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Greg D

New York City, New York
“welcome back see you thursday but we wont tell you weve moved!”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

For the last five years if anyone asked for a good indian restaurant I praised banjara to the gods the corner of 6th and 1st in the east village. I am a chef of over forty years experience who has actually cooked indian for the indian people in india so when I say the food was authentic take it to the bank. seven years ago I became a paraplegic so my career came to a screaming halt, so wehn we found Banjara with a huge ADA compliant wheelchair ramp a large easy to move around dining room and GREAT FOOD we had a found a new go to. every birthday and anniversary and farewell dinner was held there, so this week was my wifes 39th so last week I rang banjara and the call went like this"miss vayner wonderful of course next thursday at 6.30 yes you're in a wheelchair we'll give you a great table see you then" so I met my wife in astor place and we rolled toward 6th and 1st and when we got there najara was no more the white building was purple and it was italian? I asked the italian waiter they had moved 6 months ago he thought somewhere on 2nd ave close by. We rolled for forty minutes and couldn't find it we finally got them on the phone and they were at 100 second ave we rolled back and next to a really grotty bodega and ATM machine smashed to pieces was asmall sign about 1 ft by 6 inches saying BANJARA YES WERE HERE we rolled in the beautiful large banjara of old wheelchair friendly was now a dark grotto almost in a basement level a wheelchair could roll in 8 feet and then there was a staircase in the window was 2 tables next to the dirty linen and a mold covered box of wrapped knife and forks and stored cheap fake hindu statues a woman in a green sari was yelling we could sit down stairs I was telling her we had a birthday booking for a wheelchair accessible table she insisted down a flight of stairs was just that? a familiar face our waiter of the last five years suggested a table actually in the doorway so all and sundry would have to walk left and right around us to enter the woman in green was saying "IT NOT RAINING MUCH SIT OUTSIDE" the waiter we knew led us to the two tables in their moldy box statue store area and there we were shoved it was my sweet hearts birthday and she had to duck to sit down a 50 inch flat screen was hung precariously over her head. I went to the toilet with the wheelchair sign My chair is a standard witdth chair my chair got half in half out with my foot plate touching the slimy toilet bowl and that was it he swore (he, the maitrd) it was americans with disabilites act compliant? not so much I rooled back to my table it was so close to the bar I had to duck under the bars over hand and when I got there a spare 5 ft statue fell on my head and almost smashed the stores front window, we ordered It was her birthday and she was being nice, the vegetable fritter paltter was being carried across the floor and all I could smell was bbq briquettes when the food arrived it stunk of charcoal was vege ball was so charcoal it crumbled, when I turned them over the chef had deliberately hidden the charcoal by turning them over ,I sent them back the replace ment came they were frozen in the middle. we ordered a bottle of wine and the waiter once poured stood 2 feet away for the rest of our time saying " I pour you want more?yes" we told him toleave so he stood four feet away saying it the main course arrived the table was n't big enough for the bowls of food and our plated we ordered three completely different dishes with different ingredients and they all looked , smellled and tasted the same, terrible we gave up and asked for the chef a man in a suit who was standing 6 feet away telling suppliers he couldn't pay the restaurant bills there was no money over the phone the screaming woman in the green sari screamed at him about the people with wheels(us)he came over and his apology was he was out shopping and his staff were incompetent and he didn't trust them if hew s there it wouldn't happen because they were useless he told me his bathroom was right so I rolled over and showed him he still said it was perfect even when the door couldnt even close he asked what was wrond we showed him the mold the cutelry the statue still leaning against the glass window the over crowded table we told him of the charcoal first course and showed him the bland monochromatic mains all he did was remove the cost of charcoal and then they had to move all the statues and mold and cutlery so I could move and as we left he kept telling us his stadd was useless his kitchen was terrible but please come back? thanks for ruining five years of memories banjara you have gone from culinary perfection to dumpster at the back of a c grade diner in one two block move and yes your staff are useless and you are the biggest incompetent of them all.

• Visited May 2014
Queretaro City, Mexico
“The best Indian food ever”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

This is one of our favorite restaurants when we travel to New York, we love it´s authenticity and quality. Not very nice decor, but the most important thing is the food and they have the best. Last time we visited we had to walk like 20 blocks and it was raining, but the experience is totally worth it. Next time we are in New York, we will definitely return

• Visited August 2013
Klagenfurt, Austria
“Tasty and truly Indian Delight”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I visited this place in April when I was in New York on a business trip and it was quite a delight. The coolest thing is that they have a good variety of wine and beer for that perfect dining experience. I tried their poori which was light in perfect taste and with the right amount of oil which is not found that often since wherever I had pooris they always used to serve them dripped in oil and that’s why this place was a nice change. They certainly keep up the good name of the Indian dishes by serving it with the right amount of spice which is not bound to attack your stomach later. It’s perfect for anybody who is into Indian food and is in East Village for a nice dining experience. The staff itself is very welcoming and they even help you with your choice especially when you are new to the whole Indian food scene.

Visited November 2013
New York City, New York, USA
“Yum!”
Reviewed October 13, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Great Indian food in the city. The options were typical Indian selections, our water glasses were never empty, and service was simply wonderful. Great find on our day of wandering.

Visited October 2013