“Interesting”

Neighborhood: East Village
elmhurst, New York
“Interesting”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Went to the restaurant by chance and it was nice. Have an outdoor seating area. Lovely food. recommend a try ...

Visited October 2011

Pasadena, California
“Love it”
Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

The food is delicious! There mango lussi is so good. There service was a little slow today because they were pretty busy though.

New York City, New York
“Great Palak Ghost!”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We went to lunch at Banjara and it was worth it! The restaurant is clean, and they have very good service. We ordered lamb Palak Ghost, which was amazing, don't let the adress fool you!

Bern, Switzerland
“Best Indian Food!”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

After my second visit at the Banjara Indian Restaurant I still haven't found a better Indian Restaurant. The ambient is very authentic and relaxing.The Staff is friendly and helpful. The food is simply awesome and the prices quite reasonable!

New York City, New York
“Ugh. Fare thee well, my former favorite Indian joint.”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

(From a local - your experience will be better, apparently, if you show up with a busload of people).

So, I just got back from Banjara, my usual spot for good Indian when friends are visiting from out of town, etc. Today's experience has changed all that.

I walked in with my cousin who is visiting from out of town, and the restaurant was basically empty. A couple seated to my right, and just after we ordered (two kaati rolls, butter chicken, murgh tikka maslam, and two butter naan) another couple comes in and is seated to my left.

The chaos started with the couple to my right, who finished up and were about to leave after paying when they realized that only one of the two credit cards they'd put in to pay had been returned; the other lost somewhere along the way. At this point we received our kaati rolls, and the other couple (who had ordered about ten minutes after us) got their order.

After about ten minutes, we'd finished the kaati rolls and the papadum that we initially got, and were waiting for our food. Another fifteen minutes passed and the couple to my left had finished their food and received the bill; they paid without looking and only afterwards realized they'd been charged for garlic naan that was ordered but never came. They subsequently left after some arguing. Another ten minutes passed and a busload of about 60 tourists walked in and was served immediately.

It had now been thirty-five minutes since we received our appetizers and forty-five minutes since we ordered, and we hadn't see hide nor hair of our entrees. I ask where our food is, and ten minutes later we receive our gravies (the tikka maslam and the butter chicken) in bowls rather than the covered metal 'handi' dishes they usually come in which help keep them warm. The gravies were cold, and the tikka maslam, which is usually a generous portion, had only five small kebab-sized pieces of chicken in it. Neither the gravies nor the rice had serving spoons, and they hurriedly snatched some off an adjacent table that had just been bussed. I had to ask for the naan as (like the previous couple's) ours had been forgotten. The naan was also cold. It was at this point I smelled smoke, looked over, and realized that the flowers on the next table over were so wilted they had drooped into the candle and caught light.

Let me paint a picture: At this point, an hour after we first ordered, we are eating cold gravies of questionable portion and cold naan in the smoke of a burning flower on the next table over. The sixty tourists are making a hell of a racket, but I notice their gravies are plentiful and steaming. As I'm turned around looking at the tourists, I notice that rather than properly bussing the plates of the previous diners to either side, and our appertizer plates, they've been piled on the table behind us. In disgust, I fold up my napkin to pay and leave when I notice that there is a smear where some previous user of the napkin has wiped his knife.

Avoid. At least when you don't have their full attention. Because they care far more about the satisfaction of sixty people they'll never see again than a regular who is about to become a disgruntled former regular.

2 Thank raiaken