“Great location, drafty windows”

JW Marriott Essex House New York
Ranked #250 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great location, drafty windows”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

The location really can't be beat - it's right at Central Park, an easy walk to a lot of NYC highlights and you can generally get a taxi there too. The windows are not very thick, though, so being right on a major street made for a noisy night - I think I jumped three feet out of bed when a truck hit a pothole around 3am and the sound shook my room. The window was also quite drafty and you could feel the cold air just blowing in. Putting down the shades helped some.

The rooms are quite large for New York, so that is definitely a bonus. The breakfast buffet was nearly $50 with tax and tip for one person, but you kind of expect that in a business hotel in a great location.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Gloucester, Maine
Reviewed February 12, 2014

As said in many other reviews this hotel is in a fabulous location. We have stayed here on several occasions and I'm sure will be back. The rooms are a good size with wonderfully comfortable beds. The bathrooms are a marble and of good size for NYC if a little dated.
On our last visit we arrived and it was quite busy, even though the hotel was not full - our timing was just off, there was no preferred member check in area so the wait was long. The staff was very friendly which certainly made up for the line.
The concierge lounge was one of the better we have been in. Plenty of hot dishes, breads, Danishes, croissants and a massive glass doored refrigerator unit with fresh fruits, meats, cheeses and some interesting oatmeal mini parfaits.
All in all a pleasant stay and great choice when staying in Manhattan.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
london
Reviewed February 12, 2014

In my experience there are plenty of not very nice hotels in New York that charge over the odds. The JW Marriott Essex House is better than most. It is not cheap but the location (views over Central Park) is excellent, the staff helpful and the breakfast was good.On the down side the room was not particularly big, the bathroom was pretty ordinary and not as clean as some and they charge for wi-fi. I might stay here again for the location and you could do worse.

Room Tip: Get one with a view of the Park.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
south shore
Reviewed February 10, 2014

In the past we have stayed at the Westin Times Square. I chose the JW because it was close to Carnegie Hall where my son along with his high school string ensemble (yes a bit of a brag, but, I am so proud of him and the rest of the kids) were to be performing. I also chose it because the one bedroom larger suite had a view of Central Park, was larger than the Westin, and had an additional half bath. The Hotel was pretty clean. The staff was fine, but, we did not really need much from them. The Door Men were great. Room Service was quick and the orders were correct. The Suite was large! Now for the annoyances. No price list for the mini bar/frig. LACK OF CLOSET SPACE! There is plenty of room to put in another closet. There was one TINY closet in the bedroom. No coffee maker in the room!! It has been so long since I stayed in a hotel which, if there was no coffee maker, at least offered complimentary coffee in the lobby or had a quick serve bakery in the hotel which you could get some coffee. The JW had neither of these quick fixes. I had to order room service to get my first thing in the morning coffee and a pot of hot water for my fixing of daily tea. Of course I had to pay for the pot of hot water!!!! Breakfast was VERY expensive. Between the room service in the morning and going down to the restaurant for breakfast, we spent 150.00 a day for four people for breakfast!!! That is crazy. There are no quick breakfast restaurants close by so bring a bag of groceries, some dishes, your own cooler and make your own breakfast. Also, bring your own coffee maker. Dinner, very expensive, although it was good. If you need something close by go, three blocks away to Trattoria Dell' Arte. Awesome place and prices are reasonable even for NYC prices. No ice maker, have to call room service for ice. Light switches are a pain in the neck to work. Roll away beds are horrid! And of course, they charge for internet service. The half bath was nice to have, but, it was so large they could have fit a small shower in it. For the end result of how much one is going to spend staying there, the hotel should not have tired decore throughout or broken switch plates in the suite. Other than the lobby and restaurant, the hotel looks worn and the colors bland. I think next time we will stick to the Westin. All in all, I can do without the extra half bath.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Valri F
Maria F, Manager at JW Marriott Essex House New York, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We would like to greatly apologize for your disappointment with your stay. We would hope that you would try and stay with us again when your travels bring you back to New York. We hope your son enjoyed the experience of performing at Carnegie Hall. Thank you again.
Urbana
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Absolutely wonderful stay this weekend. Everyone was so friendly and helpful especially Michael, the concierge! Our room had a great view of Central Park. Very nice room. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the JW Marriott for just one evening on a business trip. Upon arrival, there was no one out front to greet us for the car and the luggage. Granted it was snowing, but I was still guess trying to check in. And as a major city there was no place to park, and we need assistance.

Once inside, checking process was fantastic clerk was extremely pleasant and checked us in quickly. I travel for the government, and presented a tax exempt form. The front desk clerk excepted the tax exempt form and everything was going great.

The following day I checked out and was given a receipt for the hotel at one price. Two days later I check my credit card and I had a much higher price on the credit card. When iPhone I got the runaround for a little bit but then discovered they did not except my tax exempt form. One would think that this hotel chain would have trained someone sooner to discover that they did not except an out-of-state tax exempt form. I would have also thought that someone would have notified me via phone call or via email that the Price would be higher. Instead it just ended up on my charge card. I expected much better from the JW Marriott.

Granted it had just finished snowing, and there was snow and slush everywhere. The JW Marriott staff was real good about cleaning off the sidewalk. But where they failed miserably was clearing off the section of the street where the taxis and the valet pick up and drop off. I found it up surd that they would not have cleared off that area. Everyone, including myself, had to step through piles of slush and water being held by the slush to get into a taxicab. It would not have taken much to just clear out that area and make people happy. I expected more out of the JW Marriott. This is supposed to be there high and hotel. And they should have thought about their clients getting their feet wet for no reason. There was a guy out there shoveling but stopped at the sidewalk.

The room was surprisingly smaller that I had anticipated. But it was clean and the bed was comfortable.

I woke up in the middle of the night and was in need of something to drink. I was surprised to find out that the store in the lobby was closed in the middle of the night. There was a staff member who did assist me with getting a bottle of water for which I was grateful.

The hotel is within walking distance to Times Square and is directly across the street from Central Park. The location is perfect. There's also a high-end mall a few blocks away.

Overall it was not a bad experience, but when I do return to this section of New York, I will probably not stay at the JW Marriott. There are plenty of other places that will probably provide a better service.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank point5
We would like to greatly apologize for the troubles experienced while you stayed with us. We have corrected our tax exempt process sense your stay with us to ensure this issue does not happen again. We hope you will stay with us again when your travels bring you back to New York City. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience so we can improve our services.
N. Myrtle Beach, SC
Reviewed February 8, 2014

This hotel is located on Central Park South which is the place I love to stay....taxis come and go all the time....great doormen....alot of staff all around dressed in uniforms....very friendly....great service.....they let me check in at 11 a.m. without a problem....and let me check out an hour late....I love the restaurant....elevators come often...room was super clean and had beautiful colors...more modern than my taste but nice and nice artwork on the walls...bed was super comfortable and room was quiet....heat worked great and was not noisy....

Room Tip: of course the high rooms with a view of Central Park are the best...but more expensive...but really...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Maria F, Manager at JW Marriott Essex House New York, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are so happy that you enjoyed your experience with us and enjoy our location. We hope to welcome you back very soon!