“Location, Location, Location. The Essex House has it!”

JW Marriott Essex House New York
Ranked #256 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 21, 2014

My family and I stayed here during one of our annual NYC holiday treks. Normally, we like to stay in the Times Square area, but we thought we would try the Essex House since it is new into the Marriott family. If you like old school charm and luxury, then you will like this property. It is located directly across the street from Central Park, and just down from Columbus circle. You can walk to Rockefeller Center from this hotel in 15-20 minutes. You are almost directly next door to the Ritz Carlton, and the infamous Plaza hotel is just down the block. Suffice it to say, you are in good hotel company at this location.

The hotel staff was quite accommodating, the rooms were clean and comfortable, and mainly updated. Although we had a few light switches from another era in our room that we just could not figure out, but it wasn't a big deal.

The Concierge lounge is on the ground floor and offers a nice breakfast, that was also available to us on the weekend, which is somewhat unusual.

We would definitely stay here again. A neat property from the days when each hotel had a distinct personality.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MarriotMan
Maria F, Manager at JW Marriott Essex House New York, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and you plan on staying with us again. We hope to see you again soon!

There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Essex House New York

Reviewed January 20, 2014

This is a very lovely, quiet hotel directly across the street from Central Park and just one block from a subway station. The lobby and restaurant are gorgeous and display the original glory of the old hotel. The rooms are less quaint, but they are modern and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. I can't say it's a great value at $600/night, but this is NYC, so I guess its "reasonable" for the location.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank vanclaners
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Great hotel with a good location in Manhattan. Very spacious rooms with all the amenities you can expect from an hotel of this standing. The staff is excellent too and more than willing to help their guests. I enjoyed every single minute of my stay there. I highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank ahanoubon
Reviewed January 19, 2014

It's a JW Marriott so you expect the best - and the JW Marriott Essex did not disappoint. We stayed on the 19th floor with a nice view of CPS. The room and bath were first rate and extremely comfortable - if I had to spend more time in room I would not have been too disappointed. Centrally located, we were able to do quite a lot from Midtown to the Upper East/West sides. The executive lounge was perfect start to each day. But what really made this stay so nice was the top notch service - front desk, bellman, security, housekeeping and service. Everyone was very welcoming and glad we were there! Thank you for a great visit! We will see you again very soon!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cbmeier

Thank you so much for taking the time share your experience with us. We are overjoyed that you have such an amazing experience with us! All of our staff is so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we all hope to welcome you back soon! Thank you again!

Reviewed January 18, 2014

I stayed there at the beginning of January and booked it through Priceline express deals. It is similar to Hotwire in the sense that you don't know the hotel beforehand, it only shows the area and the amenities. I could have booked cheaper hotels but I decided to try Central park south for 4 and a half stars for 160$. It turned out to be the JW Marriott house. I did not stay very long since I was there for only one night but I will give you my impressions about this quick stay.

PROS:
*Very clean!
*Good size room facing 58th street so I could watch Hercules storm:)
*When you book through third party websites where you end up paying at least half off, the front desk employees are not always the nicest but this is not the case here. Everyone was very nice.
*Very quiet hallways
*Comfortable bed...I slept like a baby!

CONS:
*I can't find much...of course, the carpet is a little frayed and there is wear and tear in a couple of places, but this is absolutely normal. I read one review that said that it looked like the Bates motel! I don't know where he stays usually, the Four Seasons? It is normal to be wear and tear.
*The restaurant connected to the hotel is very expensive...I have to find something!

I highly recommend it...I never pay 300$ for hotel rooms, this was the price on the website, so I was happy to get the room for 160$. At that price, I would return any day!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank cricri7
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I read a lot of reviews prior to staying here and some were fairly negative. To be honest, I did not encounter any of the issues that others had while staying here. Standouts for me were ALL of the staff that I met, from the front desk to the people cleaning the rooms. Friendly, helpful, genuine. For this alone I would give 5 stars.

The hotel is a classic, and as such does have some design limitations compared to a modern more purpose-built hotel. Nevertheless I liked its style. The lobby and main floor are ornate, well manned and comfortable. Check-in was flawless - I arrived at about 10:00am and they offered to find me a room even though normal check-in was at 3:00. I was on the 17th floor in a King room, with a tiny sliver window overlooking Central Park (Room 708). The room lay-out was good, and spacious. I liked the desk being in front of the sliver window as when I worked for awhile I could look up to an expansive view. The windows are old and single pane. I was there during a cold week, so there was some drafts by the window and that corner was a bit cold. I understand they are doing renos that may address this in the future. My only other complaint is that the bathroom is quite small, the bathroom door barely cleared the sink station and the toilet. Tight quarters. The room was clean and I did not see any stains on carpets etc. Some signs of wear could be found if one looked closely but nothing that should bother anyone, even at their rates.

My 4 is based on the fact that for the price of the room I would expect free wifi (which may not be a practice in NYC - I don't know). I had some trouble with mine on the first day and decided to forgo it for the other days. Also, I find that the prices for breakfast, bar etc. are well above my Mid-Western sensibility (If I remember correctly $9.00 for toast…). However, again the service at the bar and in the restaurant were friendly and well done.

Final words - I would definitely stay here again, provided I could get a good rate discount. My rate was about $300 per night (plus another $60 or so in city fees). I could not see paying $500 or so (again my Mid-Western sensibility).

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view to Central Park - even if it is a small sliver window. It is quite nice
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank pc b
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We have stayed here on several occasions in the past year and each time have had an awesome experience. We are Marriott loyalty customers and the JW never disappoints! Last wee my wife and daughter were going to NYC to celebrate my daughter's 21st Birthday. I called to make the staff aware of the special celebration and they went above and beyond. They sent up champagne and a cake as a surprise! They ate dinner down stairs in the restaurant and had a wonderful time. I can't thank the staff enough for making this day so special for everyone. We will be back in a couple of weeks and are looking to many more great nights at the JW

Room Tip: watch for specials online and get a parlview suite
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family