JW Marriott Essex House New York
Ranked #245 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 6, 2013

The service and courtesy at this Marriott was top notch. Granted we used Marriott points for our stay, which would have been a bit pricey otherwise. The hotel is a block from The Plaza, one block from Columbus Circle and across the street from Central Park. I suggest that those on a budget dine at places other than the hotel. There are coffee shops and bakeries within a two minute walk of the hotel which are fine for breakfast and/or lunch.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,819)

Reviewed December 2, 2013

We were visiting NYC with our 13 and 7 year olds, arriving on the day after Thanksgiving and staying two nights. We wanted Broadway access, park access, the Met, maybe a little shopping, but most of the places with suites over near 5th Avenue were booked. I was leary because of the recent reviews of the Essex House, but decided to give it a shot anyway. We booked a junior suite and were upgraded at check-in. Whenever I can get a door separating us from the kids, I do a little dance in my head.

The location did not disappoint. It was ideal. Everything was a short walk away.

The room was "meh". As usually happens in older NYC buildings, you have to kind of accept the vintage flavor, age not being mutually exclusive of freshness and cleanliness. That's where I was a little underwhelmed. I had to resist the urge to take a tooth brush to the grout, the baseboards and the plastic strip along the shower door. Carpets were scratchy and in places didn't meet the baseboards along the wall. There were poorly installed shower fixtures and broken marble tile along the threshold into the bathroom and inside the shower. The light switches were just strange. After 3 days I still couldn't figure out how to use them. There was no coffee maker in the room, a fatal flaw in my world, and the TV was not user friendly with much available in the way of movies. Mattress was great, but pillows were waaaay too soft. I needed 3 to support my neck. Sheets and towels showed their age.

Finally, service. Oi. The upgrade was nice. Check-in and out was easy. Bell hop checked our bags so we could stay in the city until it was time to go. Cab drivers on two occasions criticized the door man for forcing them to stop in the middle of the street, a ticketable offense we learned.

At 11pm on our first night we pulled out the sleeper sofa for our kids. There was only one pillow and no blanket. We called for a couple more pillows and another blanket. Half hour went by, we called again. Another 1/2 hour went by and we called again. The fourth time I called the person asked if our do not disturb light was on, which it was. I was told that housekeeping wouldn't disturb us to deliver the goods we ordered if that light was on. Really? I ordered them. Clearly I want them. The light was on so our kids could sleep in without being disturbed by housekeeping in the morning. Finally someone came. They brought no pillows, one blanket and a whole bunch of towels. My son had already fallen asleep with a bathrobe over him and our daughter had fallen asleep in my spot. Rrr. The next day I left $20 and a note for the housekeeper to please get us more blankets and pillows. That did the trick.

Overall, I'm left with this feeling that this hotel needs a really strict general manager to come in and whip everyone into shape. This place has great unrealized potential! Don't think I would pay this kind of money for these rooms again. I'll keep reading the reviews to see if there's improvement before I rebook for next year.

2  Thank Sirisly
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This was my first stay at the Essex House. We have stayed at countless other hotels in NYC and countless brands. We dealt with Laura, the front desk manager, and she was so easy to deal with and accommodating to my family's needs. Definitely recommend getting a bigger room (which we did) if you have more than 2 people and this made our stay with our little kids so much more enjoyable. Laura is the reason we booked the room in the beginning. She answered all of my questions and understands what you need. I could have chosen anywhere else, but with her help I knew this was the place to go.

Omar in the concierge lounge went above and beyond with my kids in getting them items they like to eat and entertaining them. Omar is the type of person who makes you feel like you are at a family member's house.

The location of the hotel is as close to Central Park as you can get. It is a beautiful hotel and gives you a different view of NYC being that close to the Park.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 1, 2013

My family and I have stayed almost yearly at the Essex House, now called the JW Marriott Essex House, in New York City over the last decade. We were always very impressed with both the service and the hotel itself when the Jumeirah group owned it. However, since Marriott bought it about one year ago it has gone downhill. Upon arriving, our room was presented to us. We know what the usual room for 4 people looks like, having been many times. This time, the room they expected us to stay in was smaller than my bedroom at home. My wife immediately refused the room and wanted a normal 4 person room. She was told none were available but for an extra $275 per night plus all fees and taxes we could upgrade to a small suite. So now the price goes to $3000 for 3 nights!!!!! I complained to the desk the next day and they cut the upgrade in half, so it ended up costing $2700 instead of $3000. Still,, not impressive.

The room was set up for 4 people, but had only 2 rolls of t-paper and 3 towels. Our first request for extra towels and extra blankets for the girls' beds were ignored or forgotten, so 1 hour later we called down again. They had no record of our first request, so approximately 20 minutes later the towels arrived, as did 1 thin blanket that was supposed to cover 2 beds!

Upon attempting to roll down the blinds in the bedroom, the blind came crashing down and got jammed in the window. Not impressive, but could happen, just not in a $1000 per night supposed 5-star hotel. I fixed it myself, but the next day it fell again. This time they fixed it but my family was not impressed.

On to the shower, where the flow was akin to a garden hose, not a shower. They apologized the next day and replaced the head, and all was well. Just should not happen in the first place.
The room was fine, but definitely not modern. It felt old and worn out, not luxurious. We stayed at the Trump down the street recently and there is absolutely no comparison. Guess where we're staying on our next trip?

Did I mention that we had to explain to them what a proper bed cover (duvet) is and they finally showed up with 1 duvet for 2 beds. Same with the t-paper and the towels, they were cheap with them and we had to request extra items each day. They should anticipate our needs, not force us to ask for each item.

We chatted with some of the staff who have been there for quite a few years and they all said that since Marriott took over management is constantly cutting corners and trying to wring every cent out of both guests and staff. Over breakfast one morning the couple from England next to us also commented that the hotel had changed for the worse, and they were definitely not happy either. They had the most unpleasant waiter and even had to change tables themselves since the waiter refused to help carry their things to another table. They also said they will not be back. We agreed with them, and honestly can't recommend the JW Marriott Essex House any longer. In fact, we have several friends who regularly stay there when in NYC and after we discussed our recent experience with them they will no longer stay there.

3  Thank Fil S
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We booked our rooms for the Thanksgiving parade months in advance this year because we stayed at the Essex House last year during Thanksgiving and had such a great time! While sorting through and organizing all the Thanksgiving revelers and reservations must be a nightmare for the hotel, the staff accomplished it with such aplomb and courtesy, we were blown away. Laura Burton, Front Office Manager and her staff Natalie Sharpe--Reservations Coordinator, and assistant--Christine, all made sure our 3 rooms were perfect for our family of four and for parade viewing, trying to fulfill all our requests up until the last moment. The checkin with Fatima was smooth, quick and friendly, the porters were all fantastic and polite, the housekeepers, security and room service staff, the same. We didn't come across one unfriendly staff member our whole stay; even the executive chef came out Thanksgiving morning to make sure the complimentary hot chocolate was filled up and he regaled us with stories about Thanksgiving at the Essex House. The morning after thanksgiving we had breakfast at South Gate in front of the fireplace, and I said to my husband I felt like I was in a ski lodge it was so cozy and warm and relaxing! The location is great to see the Tree and all the Christmas windows, as well as for the Christmas Spectacular at Radio City Music Hall, which we attended. I always feel so fussed over and special when I stay at the Essex House, this was our third stay in 12 months. I can't wait to spend Thanksgiving there again next year!

Room Tip: Central Park views are the best! But a lot of the interior rooms are huge!