“Terrific location and friendly staff!”

JW Marriott Essex House New York
Ranked #249 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 19, 2013

While in town for a business trip my wife and I spent 3 nights at the Essex House. As it has been said, you simply cannot beat the location. Steps from Central Park, close to the Subway, 5th Ave. shops and Times Square are both a very manageable walk.

We were fortunate to have access to the Concierge Lounge based on my status with Marriott and found it to be a highlight of the hotel. Well stocked, well maintained and provided great food. After a cross country flight we were able to eat dinner in the lounge on Thursday (Mon.-Thurs. dinners only) and stopped in for a drink and light breakfast over the weekend as well.

The lobby bar was a great place for a nightcap after spending the day touring the city. Although it was expensive (you are in Manhattan after all) the atmosphere was great and it provided good people watching on Central Park South.

Would have loved to have been on a higher floor as requested but we had no complaints about our room. Larger than a comparable room at the Renaissance on 57th and Lexington although not as nice as a room at the Marquis. Bed was comfortable and bathroom was what you'd expect.

Overall a great hotel that I would definitely recommend to business travelers and families alike!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank bjcseven

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and found the property to be pretty nice. We were met at curbside by the valet and were on our way inside in less than 2 minutes. The front desk staff was pleasant and friendly. The clerk asked if we had stayed there before to which I replied no, we're in town for our anniversary. We checked into the room we booked, a central park suite on the 36th floor, and found it to be clean, large and comfortable. It was rather sparsely furnished and offered a direct view of Central Park from only one window. The carpets were not stained, the bathroom was clean and large, and the bed was comfortable. At $600 per night for this room I think it was a bit over priced but it was Friday and Saturday night.

Upon our arrival we were informed the Executive Lounge was closed but would reopen for breakfast. I asked for a couple bottles of water but was told the desk didn't have any. I was directed to the restaurant where I purchased two bottles of Fiji water for $20....totally outrageous. The breakfast in the Executive Lounge was excellent, offering eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, and a wide selection of bread and pastries.

The second evening there was a knock on the door and we were pleasantly surprised to see that the hotel sent us a bottle of wine and a small fruit platter.... a very nice touch considering I had completely forgotten that I said something the night before.

The hotel is located right on Central Park South and is within easy walking distance to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and all area attractions. All in all it is a very nice hotel but is rather pricey. I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a break from the hustle and bustle of the Times Square Hotels. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank poncherello1
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I am not sure where to begin. Not welcoming at all. Treated cold and unfriendly. Rigid!!!!! Does NOT feel like a Marriott and BTW, they have not been a Marriott for very long. I have stayed at the Marriott Marquis my previous 2 visits in the past year and wanted to try a different location. Yes, the location is nice but really, there are a lot of hotels in the same location at a similar price but much nicer. Our carpet had many spots and stains. Blankets had rips in them. Torn sheets. Room felt like a dungeon with a view of their inner roof top w junk on the roof!!! Ducting was right outside our window so it was a bit noisy. It felt like we got the worst room in the hotel but when we looked at other rooms, they looked pretty similar. No coffee maker in the room BUT we could get one for over $50 per day!!!!! Don't expect ANY favors what so ever!!! Even though they had other rooms available, they would not move us to a nicer room. AND we were staying for 4 nights!!! When we departed, they forgot one of our suitcases. Thank goodness WE noticed.

To be completely fair, I will mention a couple of things that are positive. Location is good but remember, lots of hotels in this area. Lobby and hallways, although small, are nice w beautiful marble. The hotel is on the smaller side so catching an elevator was generally pretty fast. The bed was quite comfortable.

In summary, I believe they must categorize their clients. I am not sure if it is based on points, amount paid, long standing customers of the Essex House or what but I really felt like I was on their "nauty" list. And now, they are very much on my "naughty" list!!

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw overlooked the inside of the hotel and all you see is a very dark dreary roof to...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank LJBSeattle
Reviewed November 14, 2013

My husband and I spent a weekend in NYC early November and stayed at the Marriott Essex House. I was going to use my Marriott points. I am writing this review to provide a counterbalance to the other less enthusastic reviewers who stayed at this hotel. I read several of these reviews and must admit I was a little concerned about what we were getting into. Reviewers used terms such as "tired interior" "not what it use to be", etc. But, I figured it's free so how bad could it be. I was very pleasantly surprised! Not only is the Essex House an iconic interior with marble floors, marble columns and expansive hallways. Our room was completely updated and very, very comfortable. They even provided turndown service in the evening. However, as full discosure, I must admit the room did overlook a large airshaft so our view was a brick wall --- but I told myself again, it's a free room so I can suffer through not having any view. The staff was terrific. Everyone was gracious, professional, helpful and genuinely willing to help. We had breakfast in the restaurant and it was very good. . Don't be put off by the other lukewarm reviews of this hotel and stay at the Essex House!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Grace H
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I stayed here last new year for New Years eve with my finacee', Its just took me a while to write a review. The staff at the hotel i have to say where fantastic, very friendly and polite.
The room was amazing really nice the only downside was the view wasnt great.
Food in the hotel was expensive but really nice.
the best thing about the hotel is the location, central park across the road, Time Sq a 10 minute walk, lots of shops close by, I would definatly recomend doing a peddi cab tour of the park, the guy we had Bojan was so fun and full of information and took lots of pics for us, much better than a horse carridage ride.
Cant wait to go back to New York in May might even have to come back here

Room Tip: Try get a room of the park if you can afford it
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Danny W
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed here back when it was still a Jumeirah property so I don't know how much it has changed since but I am sure JW is upholding its reputation. The location is just at the foot of Central Park with access to many different sites on in Midtown, and is unbeatable. The rooms are nice and the service is the same but aren't as nice as the lobby leads it to be. However, this is still a very good hotel and will continue to stay here in the future.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband and I recently selected the JW Marriott Essex House to stay for our 30th wedding anniversary. We were not just pleased, we were blown away! The location is fantastic - we walked to Broadway, Columbus Circle, 5th Avenue - all close by. Our favorite was simply crossing the street every morning to walk in Central Park. As a Gold Elite member, we were eligible for an upgrade and informed upon our arrival that nothing was available. Naturally, since it was our wedding anniversary we were saddened. The front desk individual called the manager, Patrick. He was wonderful. He spent some time and came to us with an upgrade to a suite! It was such a great experience. Throughout our 5 days there, Patrick would always say hello to us in the lobby as we came in or went out for the day. He asked how we were doing and was very interested in making sure our stay was perfect. We also enjoyed breakfast every morning in the Rewards reception room. The food was exceptional! No fake eggs and ham! Everything from lox and bagels to incredible pastries to hot eggs and breakfast meats. From the moment we walked into the hotel, the service was great, everyone was friendly and we also felt safe. I would recommend this to anyone! It was a really nice experience!

Room Tip: Obviously the view of Central Park is premium! But, the higher floors have breathtaking views of th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Colleen F
Maria F, Manager at JW Marriott Essex House New York, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Thank you for sharing your kind words. We are so glad you enjoyed your experience with us! Patrick and all of our staff looks forward to welcoming you back!