“Location Location Location!”

Ranked #252 of 467 Hotels in New York City
NorCal
“Location Location Location!”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed at the JWM Essex for one night. Check in was fast and efficient but the person checking in us could have been a bit more polite. The check-in clerk did not ask us if we had a car to valet, which caused a little bit of confusion on the day of checkout. We ended up waiting about half an hour for our car, so it might be better to call ahead to let them know when you are checking out.

We won a bid on priceline and got this hotel for about half the hotel charges a night. I was very glad with our winning bid!

The room:
Bigger than average for NYC standards. I've stayed in many hotels in NYC and this room size was actually was one of the biggest I've stayed. The bed was very comfortable and the furniture was modern and tasteful. Working the TV was a very slow process...lots of delay between turning channels. I didn't use the internet, as I can tether my phone's connection. Lighting in the room is very nice and and cloth blinds give the room a high end feel, as it should feel for a JWM. Carpet was nice, textured, and felt good on the feet. There is a couch that will easily fit 4 people, which is very nice. A decent sized closet with robes and slippers. Lots of mirrors. Although everything in the room was clean, all the moldings around the room were in need of paint, this includes crown moulding, door trims, and base board moulding. There were also a few areas where wallpaper was peeling. Although the the state of the mouldings and wallpaper are not perfect, it's really not that noticeable. We were on Floor 9 and had no noise issues from inside or outside the hotel.

Bathroom:
A decent size. Full size tub, very nice sink and vanity. Water pressure was on point. Rust in places, such as the shower vent.

Overall, the room was pleasant and comfortable. If you are particular about a hotel room being absolutely perfect, you may want to opt to spend double and stay somewhere else, such as the Plaza. I was satisfied with the room, but did expect a little more in upkeep for a JWM.

I've read a lot of people complaining about how this hotel is not up to the quality of of other JW Marriotts. Overall, I agree with these assessments. I would probably feel like I didn't get my points worth if I decided to use my Marriott points on the Essex. The fact is, the essex charges considerably less than all of the other 4.5/5 star hotels on Central Park. This place is all about the location. You are directly across from Central Park and can't ask for a better location to explore the park. It's also convenient to Times Square and Broadway. We walked to see a show on Broadway and had no issues...took about 20 minutes.

Now...would I pay $500 a night to stay here...probably not. My dog usually accompanies me to NYC and being next to park is very convenient, but does not warrant a $500+ /night fee. I would gladly stay in midtown east/west and walk to the park, if needed. If you're not specifically looking to stay across the street from the park, there are a lot more options in NYC for $500 a night.

1 Thank GlobeTrekker1983

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed October 28, 2013

to hannah and jennifer at reception, howard and michael at the concierge's desk, and all of the wonderful staff in all areas of the hotel, a HUGE thank you. we splurged out to rent 2 rooms at this hotel for my daughter's first trip to NYC and it was worth every penny. we felt so well taken care of, the location was AMAZING, and we couldn't have asked for more.

Room Tip: park view is SO worth it.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MarieWalton
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the JW Essex House both Thursday and Friday nights. We were treated with their usual outstanding service. Of note, Melvin went out of his way to be of assistance while checking in and Batty provided excellent service in the concierge lounge. The lounge is spacious and serves outstanding meals. Although it is fairly large it can get crowded. Everyone on the staff whom we had contact went well above and beyond. The beds are comfortable and the pillows luxurious. The hotel is very clean and well maintained. We overlooked the park and enjoyed the wonderful views. The only negative is getting used to the lighting in the rooms. We WILL stay here again on our next trip to NY.

Room Tip: Park Views are Outstanding
Reviewed October 26, 2013

The positives:
This hotel is centrally located accross from Central Park and near 5th Ave. A great spot for shopping.
Service is good and staff are well trained and helpful.
The hotel is clean
Little things help make you feel welcome like the universal charger in the room and chocolates on the pillow.

The negatives:
Rooms are pricey and for the price you pay-it seems a rip off. The room is small, dated and you have to pay another 50USD to get a view of the park. I had a room overlooking a road slightly larger than an alley and there was construction downstairs that kept me up all night.
Old world charm of the foyer was unfortunately translated into small old rooms (but clean).
For the price-a nice touch would have been water.
The worst of the negatives was definitely being handed a key to a room that was occupied on check in and surprising another guest in their room.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Zar01
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I really can't say enough good things about this hotel in this review. I'm a Great Plains kid and took my girlfriend to NYC for the first time. I used Marriott points to book the room and called the hotel to let them know it would be a special trip. The staff went above and beyond. They upgraded us to a beautiful room overlooking Central Park. Felix at the front desk was very friendly and the managers I talked to on the phone we so accommodating and friendly. In addition to the fantastic view, they sent up a bottle of champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries to help celebrate our engagement. Should be a lesson for all companies on a way to make a stranger feel special in a new town and a way to build brand loyalty. Thank you.

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The ceremony and reception were great. We worked with jason who was a great guy and on top of it.

The groom stayed in a very large suite with full kitchen. The size was amazing and it was very nicely furnished but didnt have a view. The bride stayed in a smaller suite with sweeping views of central park. Really great. Service was phenomenal.

Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I am a Platinum Marriott member.... So have been to many many properties, and I think this is the best one! The staff was incredibly friendly when I came in (don't always expect that in NY!), and the fabulous lady the runs the Executive Lounge upgraded me before I got here. THEN - the NICEST Executive/Concierge lounge I have ever been in- SO much better than going to a restaurant! I am absolutely coming back here! They do a FABULOUS job!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business