“Hotel good location”

JW Marriott Essex House New York
Ranked #252 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Grand old hotel opposite Central Park, staff helpful and friendly. Bed and linen usual good Marriot quality. Our room a little tired. It was good to be opposite the park and lose the intensity of being in a city. Easy for tourist activities, restaurants, shopping.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JennyISL

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Keeping in mind that this hotel is in process of being renovated, the staff bent over backward to make us comfortable. The renovation process is evident from the inside to the outside. We needed a room with an extra powder room after the first, with a sideways view of Central Park, had only one bath. Since I wake early, I would have woken my daughter and son-in-law early every morning. So they gave us what we needed plus a window with a fabulous view of Central Park! I tried out the sofa bed and it was a no-go. So we called down and went to dinner and when we got back there was an egg-crate mattress, duvet, and bedding that made it comfortable for four days. Turns out new sofa beds were being installed the following week. All in all an A+!

Room Tip: We had a suite which is great if you are there for extended visit. I know they have rooms with kitc...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank djean102
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed here a night as we had an event in the hotel. Definitely one of the nicest places I've stayed on business. Right off of Central Park South, the Essex House has been owned by many people and managed by a number of brands in the past, including Marriott. Now that they have it back, they are redoing it and making it great again. The location can't be beat. The lobby is incredible and the Art Deco Room is a really nice place to hold a private event with a nice table for dinner, a bar area and a few seating areas. Excellent place to stay, very expensive!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Broctoon
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I previously stayed at this property many times over many years when it was a Jumeriah and I have styed at JW Marriott properties outside the U.S. This property has a wonderful location and was among my favorite hotels, but not after my last stay. Upon its transition to a JW MArriott, it is not at a 4/5 star level of service. Was there in the summer and the renovations were still underway. But even putting that aside (and that was a huge issue as there was no room service or any food after breakfast), I have to say not worth the price. The front desk was alerted to the few issues I experienced and as they were rather out of sorts because the property was so full, I just went down the street to the Ritz and the Plaza for anything I needed, which is where I will stay on my next trip. I travel alot and can look past issues that may be transitional in nature or down to anyone having an "off" day, but in this instance the problems were overwhelming and enough to really turn me off to a property that I have loved for years. Too bad. ps to the manager, you might want to train your front desk staff managers on how to deal with clients who are less than satisfied with their stay due to problems you are having with your transition. Regardless of whether you choose to do something about an issue or not, one thing that you likely should not do is to become argumentative. As a frequent traveler, I have to say that I have never had a front desk manager become argumentative on anything. They tend to listen and either they can fix the issue or not and we all move on. I really cannot see why any manager level professional would take an issue raised and then argue it. There is no point and I should not have to tell any manager that she has perhaps stepped over the line in terms of dressing me down on top of not addressing a few issues I raised upon check in that were not sorted (even though I called in advance about the same).

Room Tip: Rooms on low floors can be noisy. The property is pared downed from when Jumeriah was running it...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Location is perfect, next to Central Park. It is also close to all Fifth Ave and Time Square. The lobby and restaurant is really nice, and was told the fitness center was brand new. Didn't try it as prefer to run in the park. Breakfast is very good but very pricy. Room are outdated and in need of refurbishment. However, the free wifi is excellent and high speed which deserve an extra star.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

You have to be careful when it comes to stay there. This hotel is nice when it comes to location, but my experience wasn't good. I stayed in for 9 days, the price of the room kept going up and down. I asked for Central Park view, I was given on the 3rd floor which very low. On the price I paid, I expected something nice but unfortunately not. Not happy. The tv was another issue, it was not working for the 1st three days. I kept on calling the front desk to solve the issue but no success. The issue was fixed after three days but then the service was very slow. I was really frustrated. Final point I will stay there again.

Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on Marriott points. We were upgraded from the Junior suite to the Manhatten suite, which was huge and nice. The Concierge lounge was nice and modern. Dinner at the hotel restaurant was good. It was fairly warm at night despite having the AC turned down low. We ordered room service at night and it came up within 10 minutes, which seemed exceptionally fast. Breakfast in the lounge was good, not great. The Spa is currently being renovated and should be completed sometime in October. I would definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel.

1  Thank Alex W