“Poorly Run, and Expensive”

JW Marriott Essex House New York
Ranked #248 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Poorly Run, and Expensive”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

The Essex House has its good qualities. It's in an excellent location, and the rooms are very clean, reasonably large and comfortably appointed, although the furnishings are dated. However, it's quite poorly run. The WiFi is free, but doesn't work, and while when I called the front desk, they promised to have someone sent up to fix it within the hour, they never came. I called again, and they apologized, but no one ever actually came to fix the problem. One of the lights, and a lamp were out in my room, and when someone came to change the light bulb, they determined it was a problem with the socket, and fuse, respectively. The light was never fixed, and I was sent a lamp with a dirty shade, and a large tear in it about a week after my original complaint. Despite claiming to offer 24 hour room service, I called down three times, and no one answered. I then called the front desk, and they said room service was "undergoing renovations" and unavailable. When I asked about the restaurant, I was told they were not serving dinner. This was at 5:00 on a Saturday. I have had several other issues with the hotel as well, and would not recommend it. While the location is great, you're better off splurging for a nicer establishment like the Plaza, or staying somewhere cheaper where a lower level of service is expected. I've had better experiences at a Holiday Inn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank MorningxxMoon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Jose, California
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Just stayed one night in the Essex House for the first time. It's one of the great old hotels in NYC and is getting spruced up apparently. My room was refurbished and comfortable. The location across from Central Park South is great for runners. The gym is small and serviceable. We arrived around 11PM and were disappointed there was no food service at the bar. It seems the restaurant is in refurbishment now. The concierge was helpful and aimed us at the Time Warner Center nearby for a couple of late night options. The hotel is priced normally for NYC, exorbitant for anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I was expecting a tad bit more with the JW name attached. The service here was lackluster. I came in/out a few times without even seeing a door man. I hailed my own taxi twice when there was a doorman standing right there both times.

It appears they did a mid-2000s remodel probably when going to the JW brand. The room gives off a more contemporary vibe whereas the lobby and halls are old money vibe. It's still OK now but in a few years the bathroom will be timeless but I think the rest of the room will look dated. The lighting in the room was a bit funky, controlled by smart switches. The first night I slept with the window lights on after attempting to turn them off and failing.The second night, I called them at about midnight to ask how to turn them off (hold down the blue button on the opposite side of the room until the light goes off, gosh how wouldn't everyone know that?) I have a computer science degree and you would think I could have figured that out, but it wasn't as obvious as it should have been. I got the idea from the other side of the phone that it was a frequent question. Oddly, I woke up in the morning just before sunrise and the lights by the window were back on.

I didn't have any issue w/ the size of the room. Actually after reading here it was a larger room than I expected; and there was a closet to hang items in and my luggage found its way on to the luggage rack. If this hotel were in Times Square, the room would be considered "big" even.

I'm the type to notice every little finger smudge and I'd say the room was VERY clean.

The lights in the bathroom were actually pretty cool. They have motion activated LEDs under the vanity cabinet so you don't have to fumble around in the middle of the night to find things. I actually am going to steal this simple idea in my own place.

Great location. For New York City it doesn't get any better location-wise. I just was expecting a bit more in service, it doesn't even hold a candle to the Ritz-Carlton that's just down the street.

Hotel wifi worked great, and fast, when it worked, but at about 10pm came to a screeching halt one night. Wifi free.

Hotel elevators weren't keyed, which in a property of this might be a security issue, but I was happy to see that at night they did post people to hand check keys.

The price was just right for business travel, too. Barely below the level that would raise an eyebrow, but it was this or something in Times Square for $20 less with no free Internet, no contest there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank dddane
Orvieto, Italy
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

I am staying here now but after my last two stays may reconsider staying here in the future. I once gave this hotel a good review but to the extent any readers are relying on my prior review I just wanted to update you as to what I think now. First this is now a Marriott managed property and it does "feel" different. It feels a little more canned and corporate. Not bad but just different. Second I've had air conditioning problems during my last two visits including having to change my room during my last visit. Third my current room smells like feet. Fourth my toilet this visit was running non-stop and took two calls to fix. Fifth my shower has moldy caulking. BUT the staff is friendly and I think they're tremendous. And you can't beat the location and usually the price. But just realize what you're getting.

Stayed June 2013
1 Thank MAROMINE
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and had a good stay. Rooms are recently updated, beds are very comfortable. As a Marriott Platinum Elite member I was upgraded to a corner suite over looking Central Park. The room had an amazing view and is in an excellent tourist location. I will be staying here again when I come back to NYC. I didn't give it 5 stars because it is not quite up to other JW Marriott standards I have stayed in.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Felsted, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Rooms and breakfast are good, location is great but service is perplexing and at times entertaining. This is why…. arrived from the UK at 11.30pm exhausted from our journey. No concierge to help us with our luggage. We requested a lower room than the 16th floor offered but the response was this is not possible. This is fine however but it was delivered with either take the room or check out. I was polite so to receive such a response was astonishing. Finally I was told that there may be a room on the 8th floor available the next day. The following morning we visited Central Park. We returned 10.30am to go into the bar/breakfast area to order some drinks. We were greeted initially by one lady with “hmm not sure if we can do that before 12.00” even though breakfast was still operational. This lady then u-turned and allowed us in…great... However another lady intervened who said we could not have a drink not even a glass of water from the breakfast bar. The two ladies then disputed this whilst we walked out. We have two young children who were quite thirsty so to be denied a drink of water….?? After this I decided enough is enough and would take up the advice given to me and move hotel. I checked in to the Fairmont Plaza Hotel. Here we were greeted with a smile… To add to our experience once checked in to The Plaza I informed reception we would be checking out the next day so not to worry moving us to the 8th floor. However we arrived home that evening to find all our belongings had gone. I returned to the front desk and was told we had been moved to the 8th floor. I questioned this and explained I had requested earlier not to move us and that I was checking out the following day. They had no record of this. I wouldn’t stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ChunkyChips4433
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I am a platinum member and chose this hotel because of the location. Despite the huge amount of points consumed (380K), this hotel still is NOT A MARRIOTT. NO executive lounge, NO included breakfast, NO welcome gifts (or points rebate), Nothing.
The rooms look very aged.
True, location is amazing