“Good food”
Review of Nobu

Nobu
Reserve with OpenTable
Nobu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #194 of 13,754 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: TriBeCa
New York City, New York
“Good food”
Reviewed October 17, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Nobu New York, the flagship restaurant of Chef Nobu Matsuhisa, has been a pioneer for Japanese cuisine since its opening in 1994. Nobu partnered with restaurateur Drew Nieporent, Meir Teper, and Oscar-winning actor Robert De Niro to bring his modern Japanese to Tribeca. Nobu draws upon his classical training at sushi bars in Tokyo and his life abroad in Peru, Argentina, and around the world to create a whole new trend in Japanese cuisine. The resulting dishes, including Yellowtail with Jalapeno, Tiradito Nobu Style, Lobster with Wasabi Pepper Sauce, and Black Cod with Miso, make Nobu the innovator of new style Japanese food.

Nobu New York's design by architect David Rockwell evokes the beauty of the Japanese countryside with its natural textures, birch trees, wood floors and a wall made of river stones. Energy and excitement pulse through the room, creating a surreal effect. The restaurant received three stars from the New York Times and a Michelin star. The restaurant's perennial popularity and devoted following are a tribute to Nobu putting his own spin on traditional Japanese cooking.

Visited September 2013

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
“Ok, I agree!!!”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My husband took me along on business trip to NY and said, "I will take you to one of the best restaurants there is, a play, and the opera." I certainly did not want to disappoint him:), so I went. NOBU - we were seated and given the menu. The ambience is pleasant, reminds of free standing fish nets I have seen in my childhood, reminded me even of an amazing restaurant in Lima Peru but this is about Nobu:).

We got seated next to the NY banker lawyer types like my husband, and then a family with three young kids who were loud and whiny and that was okay too. I actually liked that the atmosphere is not stuffy and normal, as you know, even New Yorkers and visitors have kids too.

As for the food, I chose a Bento box, which included the sashimi, sushi, California rolls, shrimp tempura and a small salad with tuna slices--everything was heavenly. I thought the food was just enough until the next box was laid out. Both my husband and I were pleasantly surprised. I had a concoction of tender young green beans with bell pepper and other goodies that I cannot recall now.

There are 2 offerings of Bento Box. I chose one and my husband had the other (His had meat in the salad) and they are both good and we shared what we did not have in our boxes. The boxes took care of giving us a "sample" of the long lists of sashimi and sushi.

The wait staff was very friendly and attentive, quick, and they explained what we are about to eat.

The other special interest my husband has, by the way, was that, the founder/owner of the restaurant was his teaching assistant at the Cornell U where my husband has a degree in hotel and restaurant management. If we take that out of the equation, I will still say go and experience Nobu. You cannot go wrong.

I jokingly pointed to another franchise restaurant on our way back to our hotel, "Well, we could have saved and gone there," and my husband smiled and said, "Oh no, that cannot compare to Nobu!"

I Agree!!!

Barueri, SP
“Good Place”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Good place , with great food and the staff was very kind and always present . But the price i think , was a little to high.

Visited October 2013
San Francisco, California
“Even better than what I had expected”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We ordered the chef omakase, and the meal was everything you'd expect from Nobu, and then some. Our meal consisted of:

- Toro with wild berry
- Kampachi jalapeño with cilantro
- Tempura snow crab with black truffle and honey aioli and tempura plantain
- Black miso cod topped with seared foie gras and eggplant chips
- Chilean Sea bass. We ordered this separately, on top of the omakase
- Nigiri plate, with 5 pieces of fish
- Chocolate soufflé and green tea ice cream

My favorite was definitely the black miso cod with foie. Amazing. Both the foie and cod literally melted in my mouth.

My only complaints was that the rice in our nigiri seemed somewhat hard and undercooked. Strange, because you'd expect the rice at a place like Nobu to be absolutely perfect.

Nevertheless, the service was to perfection, and the ambiance was top notch. Nobu is definitely worth every penny.

Hong kong
“Outstanding”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

While in NY and craving for Sushi, we were recommended to try Nobu! The decor, the ambiance, the FOOD!! One of the best place to eat out in NY!! Loved it.. And you never know.. You might bump into quiet famous guys! Enjoy!