“Good steak!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Desmond Steakhouse - CLOSED

Desmond Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 38th St., east of 7th Ave. - entrance on 38th Street
Description: Desmond's Steakhouse takes a contemporary approach to the quintessential New York steakhouse, melding stylish ambiance and service with culinary substance. Beef, USDA prime aged to perfection in our open-to-view dry aging room and prepared for the kitchen by our butcher, shares the menu with succulent raw bar selections, along with an array of other tempting non-steak offerings - fish, seafood, lamb, chicken and more. Like our diverse menu, Desmond's offers a variety of dining experiences. From a quick bite at the marble-topped bar - one of the city's longest (and most inviting!) to a business meal at the dining room's placed for private conversation tables or a romantic dinner at one of our cozy booths. Everywhere, there is a luxurious sense of comfort made even more welcoming by a staff dedicated to gracious service.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Good steak!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

We had dinner here on a Friday evening, we had tried to book on the Thursday afternoon for Thursday night but it was full - so would recommend booking ahead. We didn't order appetisers, and were glad we hadn't, there was so much with the mains. I had steak and my husband had steak and lobster - it was all really good. After the dinner was over they brought us some complimentary dessert - fruit, cheesecake and tiramisu - awesome - we were so full we barely did it justice - but we tried! Worth a visit. Decor is nice and traditional and staff very nice and efficient.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Brenda P

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Another Steak House”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

Desmond's Steakhouse is in the garment district in Manhattan on 38th Street. I ordered the bone in rib eye steak charred rare. It was huge, though not charred and really was not hot. Sides are enough for an army, only one per table should be plenty. Good drinks with ample pours. Others liked filet and fish options they ordered. Trying to get waiters and management's attention was problematic. Service surely will get better if they plan to stay around. . .

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Long Island, New York
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

We ate at Desmond Steakhouse because of a good reviews and a 20% discount from Savored.com.

To start out, no waiter came by to help at all, until I flagged one down after 20 minutes or so. José was very good, after we finally got him. I asked for the wine list, which only had about 30 wines all totaled. What kind of steak house has only 30 choices, including red and white? Then the waiter told me they were out of most of the wines by the glass, but he had one bottle of Zinfandel left. A steakhouse runs out of wine, with a very small offering? What's up with that? Then I was surprised by how few choices the menu had. There were about 5-6 meat choices and 4 fish choices and that was it. I expect a big choice of food and wine in a fine steakhouse.

Next was the wedge salad, with tomato and blue cheese dressing. There was very little bacon and even less salad dressing, so I asked a busboy for more dressing. He brought out so little, we had to ask again for more dressing. What's up with that?

Next was the main courses of Chilean sea bass for my wife and sesame tuna for me. My wife liked her sea bass, but I tasted it and didn't like it. My tuna was decent. I asked for sour cream and chives on the side for the baked potato, but nothing came out until I asked again and we got sour cream, no chives. So I asked again and got parsley flakes, because they were out of chives?? What? (Then later I was told that they never have chives because the chef doesn't keep them? Is that nuts or what? Remember this is an expensive steakhouse.)

Then came the bill without the 20% discount, so I had to ask for the correct discount. This was followed by a request for a sticker for the discounted parking at the garage next door. They ran out of stickers (what else is new?) so the manager wrote OK on a business card and said they would accept it at the garage. Of course, they didn't, so I had to go back to the restaurant, where the manager personally came with me to the garage and straightened out the problem and didn't even charge me for parking because of the problem. Now that was very nice.

The entire time we were in the restaurant I felt I was watching a TV show, like the one where Chef Ramsay comes in and fixes restaurants that are failing or Marcus Lemonis of The Profit, who also fixes failing businesses. This restaurant needs help from someone. It really could have been a nice experience, but it wasn't. I think they make their money from the bar scene, which was filled with businessmen after work. They badly need to work on getting enough staff and upgrading their menu and wine offerings.

Sorry, but we won't be back.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Philip C
Kemptville, Canada
“The Filet Mignon was out of this world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

A very high end and classy restaurant. We went on a Sunday night after an off-Broadway show so it wasn't very busy. The attention from the servers was top notch. I don't want to call him a waiter, because he was dressed like he owned the establishment, but he was excellent and very dignified. The servers kept their distance from us even though it wasn't busy, and they came at exactly the right times. We ordered off the a la carte and both chose the filet mignon. So they brought us each a plate with what must have been a 14 oz filet mignon along with potato and spinach sides separately so we could take our own portions. The steak was grilled to perfection, I have never had a steak cooked so perfectly and tasted so good. The mashed potatoes were excellent, lots of butter!! The spinach swirl was alright, but was not the highlight. Bread pudding for desert was good and wife had their cheesecake. She said it was really good, but I'm not a fan of any cheesecake. The location was in the garment district and slightly off 6th avenue, so you might miss it if you are not looking for it, but I would recommend this place if your budget is minimum $35 for a meal (not including drinks).

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PottsyMJ
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pleasantly surprised!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

Went here after seeing it on Groupon for two weeks before me and my wifes anniversary weekend in NYC. I was a little concerned after reading a few less than great reviews. We finally bought it last minuted and headed over. We were first very surprised at the size of this place, considering the average size of most NYC restaurants. The service, food, and atmosphere were all ouystanding. The place was pretty empty at 10pm on a Friday night so this may have increased the attention we recieved. Definitly recommend going to this place with a groupon even with limited price fixed menu. I can only imagine how great all the other regular menu choices are too!!!!

• Visited February 2014