“Adventurous Dining, Italian Style”
Review of Gradisca

Gradisca
Reserve with OpenTable
Gradisca is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,636 of 14,122 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: Between 6th Ave. & 7th Ave.
Transit: 14 St. (1, 2, 3) 6 Ave. (L) 14 St. (F, M)
Description: Committed to offering the most authentic Italian dining experience outside of Italy since our opening in the fall of 2000, Gradisca captures the charm and warmth of a true trattoria. The menu is classic Italian with a modern twist, using the freshest organic and local ingredients possible. The Wine Spectator-awarded wine list is all-Italian, and includes more than one hundred wines from all of the twenty regions of Italy.
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife and I have dined in this general neighborhood several times and thus walked by this restaurant on more than one occasion. Recently, on a beautiful September evening, intending to go somewhere else, we noticed an open table on their outdoor terrace and decided to give it a try.
To call their menu unconventional Italian is an understatement. So, if you are looking for recognizable Italian dishes, for the most part, you will not find it here. That is a definite charm of this place, serving such unique offerings as mussels in lemon parsley sauce, lasagna made with crepes instead of noodles, bread salad, etc. It actually took us a while to decide what to eat and we didn't veer too far into the unknown. For appetizers, we chose the buffalo mozzarella with san daniele prosciutto with stewed peppers and a farro salad with sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts and parmigiano reggiano. Both were good, except the prosciutto was a little stringy. I've had better. The farro (grain) salad was different and enjoyable. For entrees, my wife had the buffalo ricotta lemon ravioli with shrimps and egg plant and I chose the potato gnocchi with fava beans, sausage and grated pecorino. The pastas were both homemade and melt-in-your mouth delicious. For dessert, the flourless chocolate cake and panna cotta with strawberries were both good, but the portions could have been a little more generous.

Gradisca is definitely an upscale Italian restaurant with service to match. Again, certainly not your run-of-the-mill Italian eatery, but if you are looking for something adventurous, by all means give it a try.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

the food was excellent; we ate on the little terrace on a beautiful tree lined street; the service was good and authentic, the dry martinis were especaily nice; its in a basement but as we ate outside cant comment on the interior. we will return

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Went there for dinner Sunday night. Food was very good and the service was quite good. No complaints there.

Years ago, it used to be a smaller place and you got much more individualized attention, the waiters could barely speak English (Italian instead), it was cash-only, and pretty girls often got free drinks. Ah, well. Times have changed, and the place has expanded in size (and is more brightly lit).

By the way, I will skip ordering wine next time. It's fairly tasteless and they pour (at most) about 1/3 of a glass. Looked more like 1/4 of a glass. It's a rip off.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I first went to this restaurant about 5 years ago because my aunt came to town and my grandfather, who couldn't walk far, lived across the street. The atmosphere is warm and cozy, the staff were friendly and professional and I was floored by how good all the food was (there were seven of us and I tried a bit of everyone's dish). On top of this, they serve the best tiramisu I've ever had, and the portion is big enough for two. Since then, I go back for any special occasion, because it's a bit above my budget for a normal night out. I recommend this restaurant to anyone who ever comes to New York.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Enjoyed a family dinner this evening. First time for all of us. Energetic vibe, cool decor and nice choice of seating. We sat in back room which was great. Front room seems nice as well and there is a small outdoor seating area by front door. Great selection of appetizers and broad range of main courses and pastas. High quality and delicious. Worth noting that one of our guests requested a modification to a pasta dish. "The tortellini will only be served with cream sauce, no exceptions" was the response to a guest who cannot eat cream sauces and requested a red sauce or garlic and oil. Fair enough, it is the chefs prerogative. After first pour of wine, the rest was up to us to take care of. $200 bill for 4, including a bottle of wine.