“Great hotel, good location, very frosty staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Club Quarters Hotel, Grand Central

Club Quarters Hotel, Grand Central
Ranked #126 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London
“Great hotel, good location, very frosty staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

Really good rooms, FAR nicer than the one at the Rockerfeller Centre. Everything is new, the lifts were fast and efficient, the room was spacious, loved the location. One huge downside was the staff, oh my goodness they were so rude, uninterested and positively frosty to the guests. But you know what, we just ignored them and got on with it!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
none
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed in CQ for 8 days and i must say excelent hotel just one block from Grand Central Terminal where you can take subway for most of lines and 5-7 blocks from 5th avenue and time square.

I got small club room which was good size for one guest, all furnitures are quite new and very clean. Small club room might be not good for couples with 4 luggages.

CQ also offer free wifi, free bottle of water Must say that. 27th floor is amazing where can offer 24h free sodas, free coffee machine,snacks, cpu and printers.

Staff very cordial and nice.

For sure i will recommend this hotel for all my friends.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

In the course of 4 weeks, I had 2 stays at this hotel. I chose it b/c of the price and most of all, the convenience for business travellers. When I travel on business, and I'm either on my dime or a client's dime, I like to keep it simple, but I want things. Like plenty of outlets for charging devices. Conveniences like the free cold distilled water. Free sodas and snacks in the lounge. The workout area was ehh, but I walked about 2-3 miles a day so it was ok. If you can, I recommend the superior room, which has a kitchenette and a cool dining/work table. It just opened so there were a few bugs, but overall I was very pleased with the service and the people who worked there.

One hint -- there are limited number of irons and ironing boards in a common room on each floor, so if you are like me and iron everything when you arrive, you may have to hunt around on a different floor if yours are all gone. That being said, it is packed up each day by housekeeping and returned to the common area, so no one can use it and forget it in their room.

The ability to order from neighboring restaurants and have it charged to the room was also a great convenience. Just one word on that -- as a San Franciscan, the hoopla about Rickshaw Dumplings is just that -- your neighborhood Chinese joint serves better dumplings.

The location, on the other hand, can't be beat. You have all the subway lines at Grand Central, great neighborhood conveniences on Lexington Ave, and you're just a few minutes away from the insanity of overindulgence called 5th Avenue.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Michael Y
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

First impression not so great - two different groups were having issues with front desk staff while I was waiting to check in, and they didn't look happy at all. When it was my turn though they were very efficient and quickly found me a room,even though I arrived hours before their official check in time. Staff were very polite throughout my stay.
Room was quite small but perfectly fine for one person (for two it might have felt a little claustrophobic but they probably have other rooms to choose from).
Hotel is new and everything works well. Free wifi was perfect. Lounge on the 27th floor is great, especially when you arrive late at night and just want to drink a tea or coffee or grab something quick to eat. I didn't experience any of the issues with elevators that previous reviewers had.
Location is perfect. Right next to Grand Central with easy connections to anywhere else in Manhattan. Area is very quiet at night and I had no problems with noise.
I had stayed at a Club Quarters before in London and this property is much newer and more pleasant. It's not a 5 star hotel and neither does it pretend to be. To say that it's no frills wouldn't be fair either as it would be perceived as having no services - a lot of what you need is there, you just have to ask or read the instructions (e.g. there isn't an iron in the room but there are instructions on where to find one)
For the price I paid and the location and cleanliness, I would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

First time to NYC and we loved it. Took my daughter for her 18th birthday and had a blast. Club Quarters Grand Central was all that and more!!

Yes the rooms are a bit small but very clean, comfortable and modern. Service was quick, staff polite with free Wi-Fi and complimentary breakfast, snacks and soda 24 hours was an added bonus! I left my phone charger at home and they lent me a brand new universal charger for the duration of my stay. I needed the iron and someone brought it to me within 3 minutes of me calling! Whenever we seen an employee of the hotel whether in the hallway or elevator they always said good morning, good day and acknowledged us - good customer service goes a long way.

The only small negative was the elevators were slow at times but nothing to complain about. They also gave us a complimentary box of chocolates for this inconvenience....which I thought was not needed by nice all the same!

Located just six blocks from Times Square. Lots of shopping, restaurants, live shows and near by attractions. Price was below average than other hotels that are within walking distance to Times Square.

I am quite picky and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 1606 - right in front of the elevators.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

After two consecutive nights in this hotel the second night was worse than the first...
The first night only one of the three elevators were working and on the second night, none of the elevators were not working. I was on the 9th floor! Hello stairs.
The rooms are tiny. The only seating in the room is a 50's diner type "L" shaped booth with a table fixed to the floor inches away from the seat. Totally unusable as anything except to unpack your bag which is on the table or booth because there is no suitcase stand in the non-existent closet where the non-existent iron and ironing board are not.
I have nothing to say positive about this 'brand new' property.

Room Tip: Not a good room in this hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

First, let me start off by saying that the hotel rooms are small. Period. But I knew this going in - so they were exactly as expected - small.

That being said, the rooms were clean and nice and actually a little bit more spacious than I had anticipated. I've stayed at the Pod hotels - which for the money are a good deal - but they are actually smaller than these rooms. I preferred Club Quarters for my business travel, because it is less "clubby" feeling. More business travelers as Club Quarters, less partiers.

I'm giving these guys a 5 because I was actually pleasantly surprised by several things. The "Club Living Room" provides a free continental breakfast and coffee (limited variety - but quick and easy). It's set up nicely for business travelers - plenty of tables and workspaces.

The 5 rating comes because I had already checked out and went to my early meeting and had 5 hours to kill before my flight. So, I came back to the Club Quarters (my luggage was stored) and the staff was very accommodating. They let me work in the Club Lounge (with free lattes) while I waited for my flight.

I would definitely stay here again - especially if I'm looking for a good price in New York. If you are looking for spacious and luxurious, this is not it - you'll need to fork over the money to stay at a more upscale hotel. But I'm super particular - and this place is quite nice, just really small rooms.

Summary:
- Nice staff
- Good place for business travelers on a budget
- Great location
- Nice rooms - clean, modern (hotel appears to be new or newly remodeled) - just small
- The biggest downfall is the windows don't appear to be highly insulated and you can hear the street noise really well
- Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business