“Getting even BETTER!”
Review of Sushi Dojo

Sushi Dojo
Reserve with OpenTable
Sushi Dojo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,704 of 13,826 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: East Village
“Getting even BETTER!”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

I hadn't been to Sushi Dojo for a while so we went back last week. The restaurant has totally hit it's stride now. The fish was even better than before. The assortment was amazing. The Omakase dinner, (we had the large Chef's choice), was wonderful Chef David is easily the most engaging chef in New York. Max's sake choices were amazing- he got me a bit too toasted...but I guess that was my fault not his :). If you haven't been to SD yet, get there as soon as you can...make sure you have a reservation...If you've haven't been for a while, check out the latest creations by a wonderful restaurant.

• Visited August 2014

“Amazing Sushi”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

This is one of my favourite sushi places in the world. The fish is always amazing - the sushi chefs are so knowledgeable. I always get the omakase and the sushi chefs always curate the most amazing meals based on my preferences.There is also a sake expert who provides amazing pairings for the meal. I love this place.

• Visited June 2014
New York, NY
“amazing sushi on First Ave. in the East Village”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We were walking down Avenue A on our way to an off-off Broadway show, planning to get sushi at a neighborhood place with OK Yelp reviews, but it had turned into a Thai restaurant. Still intent on sushi, we asked Google Maps to lead us to one, and we wandered into Sushi Dojo. We knew something was different when the greeter told us that she had no room at the bar, and one table left but we had to abandon it by 8:00 PM - given that the show's curtain was at 8:00 we agreed. We sat down at a small table in an understated, elegant room. The table was set with beautiful pottery - hachi holder, soy sauce dish, soy sauce vessel, lined up perfectly. We ordered two sushi assortments, the chef's special and the super special - more expensive than we had planned, but absolutely worth it. The sushi was perfect and varied - uni, sea eel, tiny shrimp, maguro, hamachi, each one better than the next. The sake sommelier (!) helped us through the complicated sake list and found us a perfect dry sake to complement our sushi. We were still a bit hungry, so we ordered a portion of duck, fine duck slices, lightly grilled, with home made miso and a perfect brussel sprout. The next time we will have one of the omikase menus and linger. Hard to believe that a sushi joint would 'vaut le voyage' to the East Village, but Sushi Dojo is a treat, all the more surprising from its location.

• Visited April 2014
“One of the Best”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

With reservations, we sat at the bar area for the omakase. Our selection was the 15 piece and a hand-roll, and it was amazing! Every piece of fish was fresh and so delicate. So delicious. The sushi chef was very attentive to us, taking his time to describe what piece we were having, all with a friendly smile and conversation. This place is very nice and cozy. It's nice to be able to speak to the person next to you without raising your voice.

Visited March 2014
“The Absolutely BEST”
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely one of the best sushi restaurants I have ever been to. We sat at the bar and had, what I would say, was the best Omakase I've ever had. Hands down. The fish was so fresh that I could only assume he caught it just for us 5 minutes ago. ;)
The Japanese Uni is now my favorite piece, and I don't see that changing. The unfiltered sake was incredible, as was the selection. The staff were friendly and the service was great. I'm so happy! Thank you!

1 Thank NashJM