“Geo Washington ate here”

Fraunces Tavern Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Fraunces Tavern Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #283 of 13,637 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, International
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Financial District
Cross street: Broad St.
Description: The Porterhouse Brewing Co. at Fraunces Tavern, is located in one of the city's most historic landmarks in the downtown Financial District. The Porterhouse offers a large range of small batch and specialty beers, serving traditional American food with a strong Irish influence. Fraunces Tavern has been a part of our city's history since 1762. Now under new management, you can expect a modern experience in an authentic historical space while enjoying great food, drinks, and atmosphere.
Tampa, United States
“Geo Washington ate here”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Besides its historic beauty and significance, the food was good. I had the chicken pie that was allegedly Washington's favorite summer meal, and it's become one of mine too. The only thing I didn't like was the highly amplified live band. All that loud noise in a small tavern was too much. One group of customers got up and left because of the noise. My party and I were able to hold conversations only when the band paused between songs and sets. It would be MUCH MORE AUTHENTIC if the music was NOT electronically amplified, anyway. Plus the music was supposed to be "trad Irish", but they veered way off course on that. "Rocky Raccoon" by the Beatles is a fun song, but not "trad Irish." Just make sure you avoid the times when the band is playing and it'll be a great experience. Even with the loud music, it's still one of my favorite memories of our trip to lower Manhattan.

• Visited June 2014

• Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
NJ
“Full of history and excellent brews”
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

We had a great experience dining here. The building is really historic and we enjoyed looking at everything inside the tavern while waiting for our food. We ordered a few beers on tap--ones we hadn't heard of--and they were excellent. We all had burgers which were also excellent. So, pretty basic lunch but we enjoyed it. Was not crowded for Sunday brunch.

Florida
“Loved the history; the rest not so much”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Fraunces Tavern is old and quaint with great historic decor. Loved the candle-lit lanterns everywhere. We ate in the restaurant because the bar was too loud with rock music over the intercom. (But the decor in the bar is cool too.) Our food was good, but nothing special. The salmon cake appetizer was the best part of the meal. Our service was horrible, however. The waitress was not attentive, and we had to ask for everything. We had to ask to see the beer/wine list. She spilled one-quarter of my beer while she was pouring it into a glass all over the table and didn't offer to replace it. She forgot my salad dressing, and seemed overall bored. For the prices, I'd hope to have had a better experience. I'd go back for the atmosphere and a beer, but not dinner.

• Visited July 2014
Roslyn, New York
“Best steak on a stone you will ever have!”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My dad loved Fraunces Tavern and frequented it regularly with his Moore McCormack and later
Toplis and Harding colleagues. I was introduced to the Tavern during my college years and only recently returned to find it is just as special and timeless as ever. The Steak On a Stone, a sumptuous filet was lean (fat free) and simply delicious. If the Tavern is to be faulted, the service could be more timely, however, if you wish to enjoy a period locale with ambiance you will not be
disappointed. It is simply my favorite steak house and yes I've been to many of the others.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Harry A
Atlanta
“Friendly, Good Brews, Good Food”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Staff was attentive and friendly. Great selection of draft beers. Try the Porterhouse brews: Plain Porter, Oyster Stout, Red, 4x. All very good and representative of dry stouts produced in Ireland. I had the jambalya it it was meaty and good.

Visited June 2014