“Basic French Food”
Review of Bistro Cassis

Bistro Cassis
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro Cassis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4,970 of 14,202 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Reliable, neighborhood French restaurant with seating outside (its actually quieter outside than inside). The noise inside is my only objection-also that they're not on Open Table.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Raised close to the french City of Cassis in SouthEast of France, I immediatly stopped by this bistro while visiting Columbus Avenue for a lunch meal. All people are very nice. i took rosé wine, mustard sauce salmon and profiteroles. all these for 49$.

Wine was very good, salmon well cooked but mustard sauce was not convincing. Profiteroles were very far from french profiteroles. French baguette was quite ok.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

2 of us had dinner and lunch during a 2 week visit to NYC.
Dinner was the highlight - both had steaks - fillet and strip and both were faultless.
Starters of mussels and salad were also good. Service was prompt and efficient, and the atmosphere inside was good.
Lunch eaten outside consisted of french onion soup followed by salads, and was very pleasant.
I would say this looks like a consistently good place to eat, and though not outstanding, the food was very nice on each occasion we were there. We will revisit when back in New York.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

MICROSCOPIC teeny portions, and an argumentative ABUSIVE MANAGER!!! Tasteless average French food. NEVER EVER GO HERE.... 80 dollars later and I still left hungry! After a nice movie, I came here and ordered chicken...it was teeny tiny, and actually only four bite sized pieces...I was so hungry, I ate it without even thinking of complaining...after we were done I told the waitress it was "teeny tiny" and she agreed that it had usually been larger and didn't know why. I ask for the manager, and told her what had happened, and instead of saying, Im Sorry, she said "well, I can't do anything, you already ate it and I didn't even see the plate." She went inside. I was so angry at that point, I went inside to reiterate my point and told her that even the waitress had said that it was small. She then tells me that the waitress (who barely spoke english, but spoke spanish), did NOT say that. In essence calling me a liar! I then tell her that I will write on yelp and never come back, and she says "OK FINE" sarcastically...Can you believe this? NEVER EVER GO HERE.

3  Thank anna s
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Restaurants on Columbus Avenue in the 60s-70s have definitely seen better days, which is why Cassis - aside from its own integrity - is where to have lunch prior to going to the theatre & other entertainments in the Lincoln Center area.

Heck, even if your only goal is to see what the used-book seller on Columbus & about 67th Street (the guy who outlasted Barnes & Noble, down the street) has to offer on his card tables, make a reservation at Cassis.

(I found a hardcover copy of Chernow's "Alexander Hamilton," an excellent bet to provide greater satisfaction than the regrettable Vivian Beaumont production of "Ann" - the producers of which failed to cut the first act, which resulted in our politely declining to see the second.)

Of course, you will have to prefer French cuisine, which hardly qualifies as an intolerable burden. Do be careful draping your coat over the back of their chairs when being seated (they have so little support at the base of their legs, they're likely to tip over backwards onto the floor if naively trusted to remain upright on their own cognizance).

Having lifted your coat up off the floor, all the rest falls into place. The staff is efficient & friendly without being compelled to impose a false intimacy, & the food is splendid.

The next time, we might be tempted to skip the play & just have dinner in this restaurant, which revives the spirit of the now-lost sophistication of Columbus Avenue in the 1980s, before it was gradually frankensteined into a garish parade of immobile quasi-fast food outlets & schlocky clothing stores that marched uptown from Penn Station.

Make reservations.