“Salty”

Ranked #345 of 13,936 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Neighborhood: Harlem
Reviewed April 20, 2014

So I came here after seeing it on Man v Food and I invited two of my friends that live in New York and I live in London.

Honestly I was disappointed.

On arrival the small plates on the table were dirty as well as the cutlery.

Cornbread was nice and warm and the only think that was nice.

Smothered chicken - salty I just couldn't eat it I tried to scrape most of the sauce of and get to the chicken.

Collard greens - salty

Garlic mashed potato - this was nice but not memorable.

Our drinks came when we were almost finished with the food.

This meal was the worse that I have had in New York and I was not able to enjoy the food let alone get half way. I ended up buying McDonald's as I was still hungry and I felt so bad inviting my friends there with me. To me it was a waste of money.

There are newer reviews for Sylvia's Restaurant

Reviewed April 17, 2014

This past week I took a group of students to Sylvia's Restaurant in Harlem, NYC for a senior class trip. The students are only the best kids in the class that get to go and work very hard for the trip. We had dinner at Sylvia's and gave them time to shop and see Harlem before our meal at 5 pm that day. We sat down to a wonderful experience. Jerome Hunt "Jay" our host was fantastic! He told us about the history of Sylvia's restaurant and that we are now in the third generation of her family running the establishment. My students got to dine on platters of whiting, fried chicken, and ribs that are making my mouth water just thinking about them. The fish was flaky and the chicken was perfectly fried that is, juicy on the inside and crunchy on the outside. The ribs were fall off the bone tender and delightful. At 5:30 after all of the food had been served four of my boys arrived. They were late as they had been searching for a place to get a haircut and it took longer than they had anticipated. Jay told them that the reservation was for 5 pm and that the restaurant caters to the people that are there on time and did not (thank God) offer to make them anything. My students were very contrite and apologized profusely to Jay and the group for their impoliteness. Having said all that, there were copius amounts of food for them to eat. All of them had their share of the chicken, fish ribs and delicious sides of potato salad, collard greens and sassy rice. For dessert we all had banana pudding -- a perfect end to an evening of lessons and dinner! Another of the highlights is that Sylvia's daughter and grandson came into the room to say hello and talk to our students. It was a very nice evening for all of us. I cannot say enough good things about our first (but not our last) dinner at Sylvia's!

Reviewed April 9, 2014

My wife heard about Sylvia's and suggested we go there for dinner. We went early in the evening during the week without reservations. The location is conveniently located near bus and subway lines. Upon our arrival, we were immediately seated and Ernest our server was there to greet us within minutes. The restaurant was clean and nicely furnished. The menu isn't extensive, but provides a good selection of chicken, fish, pork chops, steak, etc. I believe the menu included a vegetarian dish. I enjoyed grilled pork chops, mashed potatoes, and string beans. My wife and her cousin, each enjoyed a different chicken dish. We then shared a peach cobbler. Each of our selections was delicious. One of the highlights of the evening was conversing with Ernest. He was efficient, professional, and friendly. He really made our experience at Sylvia's memorable. Take the time to dine at Sylvia's as it is a unique New York experience you don't want to miss.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

It was delicious! We had a little bit of everything. The fried chicken was the best part. It was not oily and it was very juicy in the middle. Ribs were great! The collard greens were by far amazing. Who really likes veggies, right? But these greens were so tasty! We also had fried fish, potatoe salad, and rice. Everything made there, was full of soul and had me wanting more and more.
I would go back to this place again and again!

Reviewed April 2, 2014

My husband & I had a delightfully, delicious lunch at Sylvia's. Our server Ernest was attentive & helpful & we could barely walk out the door after our meal. It was all so good we couldn't stop eating & those planned leftovers never happened. We'll be back with our kids on our next trip to NYC.