“yummy soulfood”

Neighborhood: Harlem
Frankfurt, Germany
“yummy soulfood”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

love the soulfood, was not as heavy as I feared it might be. Friendly service, good portions, yummy food, very rich tasting and very good falvoured.

Visited March 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
New York
“Might Have Been Better in its Heyday”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

As a lifetime New Yorker, eating at this historically important restaurant was always on my list. To begin the review on a positive note, the prices are very reasonable for a New York City restaurant. In addition, the service was good. My daughter and I were there on a cold and rainy Wednesday night, so that may have accounted for the relatively few diners.

My daughter ordered the fried chicken with collard greens and macaroni and cheese. There is a basket of cornbread on the table for your dining pleasure, and the corn bread is quite good. My daughter was looking forward to the fried chicken as the restaurant is famous for its fried chicken and waffles, but she reported that the chicken breast was very dry. She could not eat the macaroni and cheese because it was very mushy and it looked like it had seen better days. I asked for the meatloaf but was told there was no more. I ordered the Sugar Hill (Harlem's own) beer on the menu but was told they were out of that as well. I finally ordered a smothered pork chop with collard greens and black-eyed peas. The pork chop was tender and the meat came right off the bone. It was indeed topped with brown gravy and onions. The collard greens are very tasty but if you must lower your sodium intake, stay clear. They are tasty because they are very, very salty. The black-eyed peas were tasteless - as if they were just taken out of a can.

I am glad we went because we can now cross this particular establishment off of our list. Sylvia Woods is dead and her children are now running the restaurant. I will never know if the food was better when Sylvia ran the place, but I can only report that if you are in Harlem, peak in, but there is much better food to be had in the area.

2 Thank travelovernewyork
West Haven, Connecticut
“Hasn't skipped a beat!!!”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I have been coming to Sylvia's for at least 15 years now being I live right next door to NY in Connecticut and the food is always great. With my last visit nothing has changed. The atmosphere was great and the food was even better. If your in the area and love southern food, this is the place for you.

Orlando, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Southern American Food”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Sylvia's was a pleasant surprise in the city when I was on vacation. It's more southern American food but beyond amazing. Their catfish bites were yummy, along with the Mac and Cheese and corn bread. Sweet tea was really one of my favorites. It's more grandma's cooking, than something high class.

• Visited January 2014
Alexandria, Virginia
“Great FOOD!!!”
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

When I visit NYC from the DC area I always make sure I stop by here! The food is great! The portion sizes are huge as well. Great value for your money!