“Like taking a trip down south!”

Sylvia's Restaurant
Ranked #345 of 13,936 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Neighborhood: Harlem
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This place was really nice. I had smothered chicken with waffles. That combination was a first for me. It was great. The gravy and chicken was seasoned really well. The waffles were big and delicious. I ordered a side of their baked macaroni. It was ok. But overall everything else was great.

There are newer reviews for Sylvia's Restaurant

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We had travelled from the City to Sylvia's having seen how much of an iconic restaurant it was and how it had been passed down from generation to generation. It had been highly recommended for it's fried chicken and welcoming service and so we decided to go for lunch.

It is situated on one of the main streets in Harlem and is very close to a subway station. It is easy to find with its huge signs, outside seating and great decor. It was actually bigger inside than I imagined it would be and we were seated immediately.

Our waitress was lovely; a slightly elderly Lady who clearly loved her job and made us feel very welcome. It was almost like being served by a relative as she went that extra mile offering suggestions, and being adaptable when we wanted to make a few alterations to the standard menu.

The restaurant was heaving and you can understand why, we were bought complimentary corn bread - which we could have eaten by the bucket load and our food arrived after a minimal wait. 2 of the people I dined with had Sylvia's signature fried chicken and I enjoyed Sylvia's signature Peach Cobbler and we can highly recommend it all!

I don't know if the restaurant takes reservations in the evenings and I would imagine it gets very busy then (based on our experience at lunch time) but it really is worth the wait as you won't be disappointed by the hearty 'Soul Food'.

Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

My family and I decided to have Sunday dinner at Sylvia's because we have heard so many great reviews in the past. Overall, I would rate this place as average, and I will tell you how I came to this conclusion. We were seated within ten minutes and the hostess was very friendly and accommodating. I went with three adults, a toddler, and an infant. Our waiter explained the menu briefly and took our order. He did not seem that enthusiastic and rarely smiled. I took my three year old to the bathroom and it was a mess! They need to do way better in this area. There was wet toilet tissue everywhere, one of the sinks did not work, and only one of the soap dispensers had soap in it. I didn't want her to touch anything, and it was a big turn off. Then, I took my newborn to a separate bathroom because there was not a changing table in the downstairs restroom. This bathroom was a lot cleaner, but I believe it's reserved for employees. When our food came, everything was a bit too salty, and the fried chicken was a little too greasy. I know this is a soul food place, but you could squeeze a lot of EXTRA grease out on a napkin. The cornbread was alright but it's certainly not the best I've ever had. The lemonade was good, but again, not the best. I seemed like it was made from a lemonade mix. I would think that a restaurant like this would have drinks that are unforgettable. The waiter did not come back to check on us, but he had to do so many other things that I could not say that this was his fault. When the check came, there was 18% gratuity included. Is this how it is in "the city"? I asked the waiter and he said that this is charged because it is Sunday. I didn't argue but I was very surprised. There was music blasting in the background, and I had to yell across the table so that my husband could hear me. The music was very good, but way too loud (especially if they have fancy Sunday prices). I would say the best thing about this place is the ambiance. There are pictures of many famous people who have come to eat there, and it's interesting. I would probably go back in a couple years with lower expectations and not on a Sunday. I would use the bathroom first, and hope for a friendly waiter. In conclusion, I expected this place to be finger licking good, and that it was not. Expect an average meal, loud music, and great ambiance.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

I went hunting for this place early one morning as Id seen it on a TV show. I arrived about 9:30am slightly hungover and grabbed a stool at the counter. My bad feelings from the night before were blown away firstly with the amazing friendly staff, the equally friendly and interesting customers around me and then the amazing food. I had the chicken & grits with eggs, biscuits OJ and bottomless coffee. It was delicious and the customers around me had equally deliceous food including catfish. I forget what I paid but it was good value. I left feeling happy with the world and walked al the way back to my Brooklyn hotel fuelled by a great brunch. Il be back next time. I think reservations are 10 or more so I went off peak and it was busy.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Sylvia's is a great experience and we had a delicious meal there at lunchtime. For $8.95 it's good value southern food in NYC, with one choice of meat and two sides. Candied yams and collard greens are yummy. Look around the walls at all the famous faces who've dined there over the years - Obama, Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin etc. Easy to find - very close to 125th station on Lennox street.