“classic” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sylvia's Restaurant

Sylvia's Restaurant
Ranked #360 of 13,479 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Harlem
New York City, New York
“classic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

best down home food without pretensions. Basic southern food and good service not for the light fare

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
“Great Soul Food and Fried Chicken”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Went with my son for lunch at Sylvia's. The restaurant was very clean, very busy and the staff was very friendly and professional. We both had the fried chicken. I went with dark meat and he went with white meat. I suggest the white meat for a larger portion. The corn bread was great. The lunch came with a couple of sides also good. It is definately an experience. I would not race there from lower Manhattan, but if you are in the area, it will not disappoint.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Good food & Excellent customer service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

I actually wasn't expecting much because of mixed reviews. But I was pleasantly surprised. My honey and I decided to visit Sylvia's while in New York City. EXCELLENT customer service by the greeter/gentleman who escorted us to our seats. He made you feel like you were a part of the family by introducing himself, welcoming you & etc. Our waitress was nice & the gentleman who brought our cornbread was very nice & hopeful too.
Not only was the service good but so was the food. Catfish was well seasoned, mac & cheese was good and the greens were delicious (and I don't even like collard greens). My honey ordered chicken waffles, which he liked but his side order of black eyed peas were just ok. Overall, I was pleased with the food & large serving sizes.

Albany, NY
“I agree with SugarSammy - OK but not great.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

As a result of my family's dining experience at Sylvia's last weekend, I've concluded that the hype around this restaurant is largely due to its long-standing reputation and historical significance in the Harlem community. Yes, it is a must-go-to stop for many politicians and tourists. Yes, the ambience was lively and service very friendly. But like the reviewer SugarSammy said, "The food is OK but not great." The food was way too rich for my family's tastes. Our preferences definitely lean towards lighter, healthier food so this was not the best place for us to dine. But we thought it was worth checking out while we were in the neighborhood visiting Columbia University. In addition, we were seated near speakers blaring music that made it difficult for us to comfortably converse. It was worth a one-time visit, however, we'll try something else next time we're in this part of town.

• Visited October 2012
San Francisco, California
“Not bad but not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Doesn't deserve the Oprah and Clinton hype IMO. The food is OK but not great. Service is delightful though. The chicken is far better at Amy Ruth's. The cornbread here is OK but I have yet to find good cornbread in Harlem. The sweet potato pie left much to be desired. Overall Sylvia's has seen better days I think.

• Visited February 2012