“Disappointing”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: Columbus & Manhattan
Transit: B,C Trains to 110th Street-Cathedral Parkway
Description: ZAGAT Acclaimed "Comfort Food" At Very Reasonable Prices!
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Very disappointing experience. Found this place beacause it was mentioned in the Knopf mapguide on New York. We, a party of 4, was totally alone for lunch at about 11:50 am. When we finally got to order, we were interrupted by the phone, which was more prioritized by the waiter than us the "live" customers. It took 40 minutes to get our lunches - fried chicken with fries, fish and chips and the sampler platter. We could not quite figure out what possibly could have taken so long - the food was disappointing, very plain and not very plentyful. When paying, we pointed out to the waiter that it had taken a very long time to get our food, to which he responded "yes, it did", with no further comment. This place is NOT worth visiting.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

I went to Miss Mamies Spoonbread Too for dinner. I went for a early dinner because I hate waiting and I have young kids. At 6 pm i was able to walk in and get a sear immediatly. The servers were not attentive and it took them several minutes to acknowledge us and give us a table (i guess it is seat your self). We started with drink and I had a House juices. It was very tart and no worth the money. Me and my daughter preferred water to this nasty juice.They put the juice in a cute Mason Jar so you think it is good...NOT! We had to ask for the cornbread after 20 minutes of waiting. I guess the waitress forgot..We ordered the sampler (ribs, chicken, shrimp, greens, mashed potatoes, cornbread dressing). It was good but at the $19 price it is NOT WORTH IT. It barely fed my husband.It was just an ordinary meal, nothing great. I ordered the baked turkey with Macaroni and sweet potatoes. The baked turkey is the best thing this place had. Both sides were extremely good. My daughter had the Jr. Fish and chips. Both were good, but the portion was small. It was not enough to fill my 3 year old (who usually eats like a bird). For dessert we had the coconut cake and it left much to be desired. I wont have it again. If i go to this place again it will only be for the turkey to go. The service took way to long and was not friendly.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Trip Advisor insists that 3 stars is "average." I call it "good." This place serves Southern specialties---chicken every which way, catfish, collards, mac 'n' cheese, hoppin' john, cornbread...etc. Delicious, savory, seasoned beautifully. Cheerful service and friendly staff. Not far from Columbia University and patronized by many from there.

Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

This place was very homely. The food was something you would get in mom's kitchen. Service wasn't especially good. Never filled my water after I finished.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I visited this restaurant with my husband, cousin and his wife and it was an experience we would never forget. It's a cozy little spot where the service and food was beyond my expectation. I had the fried chicken with mac and cheese and collard greens and almost ate my fingers too. I sampled every one meal as well and everything was just amazing. The banana pudding and peach cobbler was to die for. I highly recommend trying this spot, you will not regret it. I am definitely going back soon with some friends and I plan to tell everyone that i can think of to try them too.