“Nothing to write home about...Just average food and horrible service”

Miss Mamie's Spoonbread Too
Ranked #3,824 of 13,639 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: Columbus & Manhattan
Transit: B,C Trains to 110th Street-Cathedral Parkway
Description: ZAGAT Acclaimed "Comfort Food" At Very Reasonable Prices!
“Nothing to write home about...Just average food and horrible service”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I went to Miss Mamies Spoonbread Too for dinner. I went for a early dinner because I hate waiting and I have young kids. At 6 pm i was able to walk in and get a sear immediatly. The servers were not attentive and it took them several minutes to acknowledge us and give us a table (i guess it is seat your self). We started with drink and I had a House juices. It was very tart and no worth the money. Me and my daughter preferred water to this nasty juice.They put the juice in a cute Mason Jar so you think it is good...NOT! We had to ask for the cornbread after 20 minutes of waiting. I guess the waitress forgot..We ordered the sampler (ribs, chicken, shrimp, greens, mashed potatoes, cornbread dressing). It was good but at the $19 price it is NOT WORTH IT. It barely fed my husband.It was just an ordinary meal, nothing great. I ordered the baked turkey with Macaroni and sweet potatoes. The baked turkey is the best thing this place had. Both sides were extremely good. My daughter had the Jr. Fish and chips. Both were good, but the portion was small. It was not enough to fill my 3 year old (who usually eats like a bird). For dessert we had the coconut cake and it left much to be desired. I wont have it again. If i go to this place again it will only be for the turkey to go. The service took way to long and was not friendly.

• Visited November 2013

New York, New York
“Good solid food, Southern style”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Trip Advisor insists that 3 stars is "average." I call it "good." This place serves Southern specialties---chicken every which way, catfish, collards, mac 'n' cheese, hoppin' john, cornbread...etc. Delicious, savory, seasoned beautifully. Cheerful service and friendly staff. Not far from Columbia University and patronized by many from there.

• Visited November 2013
Waipahu, Hawaii
“Great Food”
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

This place was very homely. The food was something you would get in mom's kitchen. Service wasn't especially good. Never filled my water after I finished.

Ozone Park, New York
“The food was beyond Phenomenal”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I visited this restaurant with my husband, cousin and his wife and it was an experience we would never forget. It's a cozy little spot where the service and food was beyond my expectation. I had the fried chicken with mac and cheese and collard greens and almost ate my fingers too. I sampled every one meal as well and everything was just amazing. The banana pudding and peach cobbler was to die for. I highly recommend trying this spot, you will not regret it. I am definitely going back soon with some friends and I plan to tell everyone that i can think of to try them too.

• Visited September 2013
Ronneby, Sweden
“Genuine”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Genuine home cooked food with a southern direction. Tasted wonderful and one would only wish that places like this could find its way into the more touristy areas filled with expensive crap food. Took us a while to get the food due to a temporary understaffed kithcen, but it was worth the wait. Staff is friendly and really take some time to interact with their customers. Recommended!

• Visited September 2013