“Delicious Peruvian cuisine in the East Village, great service, great value and a relaxed environment”
Review of Mancora

Mancora
Reserve with OpenTable
Mancora is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7,486 of 13,754 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: East Village
Cross street: 6 & 7 street
Transit: F train (at 2nd avenue, Bus M15.
London
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I took two friends and colleagues here for a memorable evening meal here and I will definitely come back next time I'm in New York. I have had my fair share of excellent Peruvian cuisine, having lived in Peru, travelled there frequently to see family. This place definitely did justice to all of the dishes we tasted. My two fellow companions were equally impressed, one having never had Peruvian food and the other having only come to Mancora previously to eat chicken and chips. There is much more to it than that!

I ordered a bunch of dishes to share. To start with we had the papa a la huancaina (delicately spiced sauce with perfect texture and colour) and the anticuchos (really juicy and tender, with a delicious sauce). Then we shared a snapper ceviche (beautifully fresh, citrusy and spicy) and moved on to share the aji de gallina and a seco nortena, both dishes done perfectly. All this washed down with a few crisp pisco sours. The only thing we could fit in for dessert was the ice cream and the lucuma and chirimoya were a hit.

The service was impeccable and stylish and the bill was extremely reasonable. It was also an entirely down to earth and unpretentious place, we could have stayed all night.

A meal to remember and a great address to know.

• Visited October 2011

Maumee, Ohio
“A taste of Peru”
Reviewed December 5, 2011

While on a bus tour, our guide pointed out this restaurant. The sign said "Peruvian Barbeque". We always like to try new places so off we went. The food was very different but very good. We tried the ceviche dish, the roasted chicken and "Tiger's Milk". All very good and moderately priced. A good recommendation.

Visited December 2011
Chichen Itza, Mexico
“Authentic food for good value”
Reviewed December 4, 2011

A Peruvian colleague introduced me to this restaurant, where we went out with some friends for dinner. The place was very fun with music and quite a crowd on Saturday night. I had a special and a dessert. We shared a variety of desserts, all of which were great, especially the picarones (sort of like funnel cake in honey syrup). Everyone enjoyed their food. Low prices. $5 sangria. Good seafood. Attentive staff.

• Visited December 2011
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Almost as good as my momma's cooking.”
Reviewed July 10, 2010

Almost as good as my momma's cooking.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
New York City, New York
“Good food, relaxed atmosphere, great find”
Reviewed April 18, 2010

I've been here twice, most recently with a small group of friends. I was pleased the first time I went, so I thought I'd try it again. I was not disappointed and was very pleased.
Reservations are probably not needed (I went with 4 friends on a Saturday night and got a table on the spot),dress is casual, and the service is friendly and attentive. Also, the value is great. We had appetizers, drinks, entrees, and desserts. We split the bill and the cost was $31 each, including tip.
As for food, I think it's very good. The dishes that I enjoyed the most: fish ceviche (many different options available, the ones that I tried were very good, fresh, and refreshing), cow hearts, and grilled octopus. The desserts are tasty, too.
The space is a bit tight and loud, but overall a fun experience.
I highly recommend this restaurant for a casual night out for fresh, good food in an upbeat atmoshere.