“Old time places are the best!”
Review of B&H Dairy

B&H Dairy
Ranked #2,180 of 13,823 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: East Village
Benicia, California, United States
“Old time places are the best!”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I have been going to the B & H Dairy in NYC for over 50 years. We have been out of NYC for 20 years and I knew they had closed for a short period of time but I had heard they were open again. My family and I were in the city for vacation and headed down there for lunch. As we entered really nothing had changed. A counter dominated place and maybe 4-5 jammed in cramped tables. The old Jewish guy behind the counter who used to yell at you was gone replaced by the owner who is Hispanic but worked there for 24 years and kept all of the recipes intact. They brought us fresh baked Challah bread slathered with butter to get started. I order what was and still is the best mushroom barley soup in the history of the world and my wife got the "chicken-less" Matzoh ball soup which was equally delicious. My daughter had the whitefish salad sandwich which was to die for. We ordered a combo of boiled potato and cheese pierogies with sour cream/butter on the side, blueberry and cheese blintzes, and my younger daughter had the Challah French Toast. This food was truly a taste of NYC....authentic, simple, and delicious. The combination of flavor and nostalgia was in a word...priceless. If you want real ethnic food in a true old time NYC atmosphere....this is your place! Next time I'm in the city...I will be heading right there!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Jeff S

Inowrocław
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My favorite add”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Im sorry bat abaut praice is here big mistake our special is $. 11.00 or breakfast special $ 6.00 the praice what u wright is maibe for 2 person nad ten is godna be $. 20.00 that my add here because I now this place.If u dont belive stop on the Restaurant tanks.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Aleksandra A
Tiverton, RI
“Something for everyone”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

First started comming here in 1973, the food is the same today as back then! It's a jewish dairy resturant, fresh soups everyday I counted 7 kinds, served with homemade Challa bread! If you want good food a a fair price this is definatly a place for you.

• Visited May 2013
New York, New York, United States
“My favorite diner”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Become a regular here. It's my favorite diner food, not because it's the best, but because it has that old diner feel. The food is good, but this is the type of place you eat at to overcome a hangover: large portions, lots of butter etc.

I get a secret, off-the-menu item which is a grilled cheese with over-easy eggs. The blintzes are delicious, as is the French Toast. Just about anything on the menu is going to be satisfying.

• Visited February 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
“Borscht!!!”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I was so happy to come back to this restaurant after seven years away. The borscht is amazing and it's so cheap there. It's a tiny place but very homey/filling for not a lot of $$.

Visited January 2013