“An East Village Gem”

Neighborhood: East Village
Budapest, Hungary
“An East Village Gem”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The first time I ate Korean food was at Dok Suni in the East Village. I had bebimbop, and it turned me on to Korean food. I've eaten Korean food all over the country since that first trip to Dok Suni, but Dok Suni remains my favorite Korean eatery, and the bebimbop remains my favorite bebimbop anywhere.

It's a tiny hole in the wall, so if you get there when it's crowded expect a bit of a wait, but the staff is delightful and the service is wonderful, and the food is heavenly. I took my boyfriend there several years ago, and while he professed to hate Korean food, he was in love with it by the time we left. In fact, he raved about it to the point they gave us free digestifs at the end of our meal.

I would highly recommend this restaurant for it's dark and quiet atmosphere, it's wonderful and helpful staff, and it's absolutely delicious cuisine. If you like Korean, and you like small, darkly-lit East Village joints, this is the place for you. I can't wait to get back to Manhattan!

• Visited August 2011

New York City, New York
“BEST bibimbap in Manhattan”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Have been going to this cash-only East Village gem for years and think the food is absolutely fabulous. It's kind of small and they don't take reservations, so plan on waiting (well worth it) if going during prime hours. Every person I've brought here loves it as much as I do, so have lots of different groups of friends to go with now.

• Visited March 2012
New York City, New York
“Still a go to spot, though wish the quality had maintained...”
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I've been coming here for years, had numerous dates there, hung out with many friends and even the former owners, it's still a great staple, but the quality has definitely slipped in the past few years. The home style concept is still there and the spot is a mix of neighborhood regulars and the new yuppie transplants, but the squid is smaller, the dishes slightly less flavorful and the service not quite as confident. Used to be my favorite restaurant in NY, now I go because its still there.

“pretty good.”
Reviewed April 1, 2011

pretty good. although I have a hard time paying so much for korean, when I can find it so cheap in other boroughs. but that's manhattan for you, and dok suni is actualy pretty affordable considering the location. good atmosphere as well. would recommend if in the area.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“it's been about 6 years...”
Reviewed August 21, 2008