“Average food but great nostalgia”

Yonah Schimmel's Knishes Bakery
Ranked #41 of 387 Bakeries in New York City
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Manhattan Beach, California
“Average food but great nostalgia”
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Stick to the knish and egg cream. Pass on the matzoh ball soup. The potato pancake was tasty but oily. The apple cheese knish for dessert was very good But the highlight is the potato knish and the atmosphere. Service was friendly.

1 Thank Kenmar5

San Jose, California
“So many flavors”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I didn't realize how many options one had in a knish. I opted for the traditional and it was pretty amazing. I would have liked it just a little hotter (temperature) or one freshly cooked. Even re-heated, it was very tasty. Worth the trip is you love knishes or if you've never had one and want to experience it.

Visited October 2012
Toronto
“If you love the knish...”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

don't return home without a visit Yonah Schimmel's. Its retrograde, a visit to a time gone by, and a knish to die for - or die after savouring one, because if you love knishes, there's nothing better.

Visited October 2012
St. Pete Beach, Florida
“Great knish”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Yonah Schimmel's is THE stop for a knish! For those who are not familiar with knish, do not go into this expecting bursting flavors and spices, etc. These are old world creations and not the product of the 'new age' of cuisine. However, these were the absolute best that we had during our time in NYC.

• Visited June 2012
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
“Knishful Thinking”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

After a disappointing visit to Russ & Daughters, we were hoping our luck would improve by having a spinach knish from Yonah Schimmel’s. Unfortunately, our knish wasn’t any better than our New York bagel. Actually – it was much worse. To be honest, it could be that Yonah Schimmel’s makes the best knish in the world. According to reviews, many people seem to think they do. Maybe it’s the fact that I just don’t like knishes.

I didn’t find anything about it appealing. To me, it was nothing more than a giant ball of potato with some spinach mixed in. The crispy outside wasn’t bad, but I’m guessing that was the fried portion of the potato, and it reminded me of a hash brown. I felt like the potato filling of the knish was mushy and lacked any flavor or seasoning. Even when trying to add salt and pepper before each bite, it still wasn’t doing anything for me. I think my wife and I ended up picking at the outside of the knish but threw most of it away.

I can understand why the knish would have such a unique history. It’s obvious that it would have been a popular food for immigrants because it seems relatively easy to make, would be dirt cheap, and very filling. For many, it’s probably still a great way to enjoy a cheap meal that can fill you up. And I’m all for cheap and filling meals – I just want them to taste good too.

• Visited September 2012