“SOMEWHERE WEST OF ODESSA (RUSSIA)”
Review of Odessa

Odessa
Ranked #4,850 of 14,308 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Diner, Delicatessen, Russian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery
Neighborhood: East Village
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Great for Eastern European food, most other things not as much. Indifferent, but relatively efficient service, coffee shop atmosphere. You can't beat the combo plates calorie, fat and salt per dollar. (And that's just what you want sometimes.)

1  Thank JeffreyGL48

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Wonderful service from the gentleman waiters who are always helpful polite and charming. Always nice to see a nice smile in the morning. The food is great diner food, does what it says on the tin. Always full of a mix of people, from hipsters, hobos, business types and families. Good atmosphere and great coffee. Would recommend

Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Odessa has been on 8th St. near Ave. A for well over 40 years, and while the current incarnation is a sit-down restaurant, and has a wide range of cuisine besides the Ukrainian-Russian dishes (Blintzes, pirogi, etc.) that are its specialty, it remains a good and inexpensive place to dine. The cheese blintzes are fabulous, two of them making a quite ample meal; dining companions enjoyed pirogi, burgers, etc. Friendly service, unpretentious.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

After a heavy night out on the Lower East Side, I wanted the quintessential diner for bacon, eggs, homefries AND pancakes. I'm an ex-pat American, from New York but live in the UK. I went with my English daughter-in-law and wanted her to experience "my" kind of breakfast. Couldn't have wished for better (except real maple syrup would have been nice). We sat at the counter - you gotta do that - and our waiter, who was PERFECT - greeted us with a high-5 and the best service EVER. Didn't catch his name, but he has curly hair, a cheeky grin, a great wink and speaks Spanish. You'll know him if you see him! This is a real locals' place...one you wouldn't think to go in from the way it looks on the outside, and one you'll want to return to once you've been on the inside. Go!

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I'm no local, and this was my first time at Odessa. Being a fan of Alphabet City, I wanted to have breakfast somewhere many locals would go. So a cousin brought us here, and the waiter (I believe he was the owner) was extremely accommodating. Throughout our time there, all the workers were very nice and treated their customers very well. My brother, who's under 12 years of age, was referred as the "number one customer" and was treated like gold. My meal, the feta and broccoli omelet with potatoes, was amazing and my mother also adored her Belgian waffle. Given the chance, I'd definitely return as I enjoyed the location of this place as well as its service!