“Great Appetizers”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Large groups
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Reviewed February 4, 2012

We had tried to get into Shillers on a Friday night but the wait was too long for a party of 6 so we found the Pink Pony which was able to take us right away. The service was unhurried, which worked okay for us since were not in a hurry either. The appetizers suggested by the waiter were excellent - especially the octopus. The main courses were okay but not as notable as the appetizers. I had ordered a salmon special which was a little overcooked, but overall the meal was very good.

Reviewed December 14, 2011

We stubbled across this restaurant because we were heading to Katz Deli (on the same street) which had a very long, we were very glad we had gone to this restaurant and not Katz because it was great. The service was great and very quick. We all had omelette which was lovely and garish with salad and garlic potatoes. I would deffinately reccomend this restaurant and return.

Reviewed September 21, 2011

In short: cute cafe, great food, unhurried service. Good prices. Not the place to eat if you're starving and want food right away.

I wandered in on a very hot, muggy day with my boyfriend, and it was a lovely place to sit--lots of books and copper pans, and the right amount of a/c. We both ordered the roasted salmon, and it took a long time to arrive, but was delicious. It came with lovely cheesy risotto and an unidentifiable but very tasty sauce. We would both have preferred the fish a shade less well done, but it was excellent. Good wine, too.

And maybe it was just how good the food was, but I wasn't bothered by the service. The waiter didn't come unless asked to, but it was easy to catch his eye (it's a small place), and when we gestured to the empty water bottle, or mimed that we wanted the check, he appeared immediately. And in the meantime, we were never interrupted by servers wanting to know how things were going--and I had the sense that we could have sat there all afternoon, without anyone complaining.

Reviewed December 8, 2010

We were going to another diner in the lower East Side for breakfast but a local person mentioned the eggs at the Pink Pony which is just around the corner. We went there and had a fabulous breakfast. I ordered the pancakes of the day which were peach and blueberry pancakes. I've never seen pancakes like these - they were thicker and looked more like a "cake". The presentation of the pancakes with fresh fruit was absolutely beautiful and they tasted amazing. It was a great find off the beaten path

Reviewed August 25, 2010

I ate at the Pink Pony on Friday, August 20th. It was hands down the worst meal I have ever had in New York. The waitress was snotty and when she finally took our order, it took hours to get to us, despite the fact that no one else was there. My "steak au poivre" (which I ordered medium) showed up a rubbery gray-all-the-way-through, sitting on a puddle of some sort of creamy mustardy looking sauce that was ice cold. The fries they sent out with this steak...they must have been fried 2 nights prior and kept in the fridge. I never send anything back, but this was absolutely appalling. I sent it back and the waitress made no effort to get me something else. Instead, she complained about how the kitchen was having problems and they were getting all the flack for it. Whatever the case was, the whole kitchen staff should be fired. Where's Gordon Ramsey when you need him!? NEVER GO HERE.