“Exceptional Quality but menu could benefit with more choices”
Review of Prune

Prune
Ranked #695 of 13,935 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: East Village
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We had brunch on a recent Saturday visit. The quality of the food is high and it is evident that the kitchen prides itself on this. I had the steak and eggs and it was prepared wonderfully.

While making a good scrambled eggs should not be too difficult it is too often overcooked. The eggs from Prune were light, fluffy and moist. Our side order of chick peas was also very well prepared and flavourful.

With respect to the small menu there was nothing truly innovative here and as such I thought the menu could have benefited with a few more items.

The restaurant is also very small so be prepared to be close to other patrons. The restaurant opens at 10am for brunch and I would say that by 9:45am there was a queue of about 10 or 12 people in line already. But, because the service is quick (and friendly) the wait is probably not too long if you do not get a table right away.

I would definitely return to Prune and would welcome the chance to try their dinner menu. By the way I would recommend you read chef Gabrielle Hamilton's book Blood, Bones & Butter. She is the owner of Prune and her book is a wonderful read about her journey.

There are newer reviews for Prune

Reviewed May 6, 2014

In this small but smart East Village restaurant, you don't have a whole lot of choices on the menu, but what they do have is absolutely delicious. Try it, you'll like it!

Reviewed April 9, 2014

In two visits we can heartily endorse the Octopus starter, zesty Tunisian Fish stew (includes a whole sea bream/daurade/dorado/cipura), succulent quail and stunning, tender whole rabbit (for two). The Domaine Brusset Gigondas was outstanding at a decent price loint, as was the Catalan Cava (sorry I didn't get the name.)

Prune would be a 5 perfect if there were a little more space to spread out and allow for some privacy. But this is New York City and the prices are reasonable, so one has to tolerate small spaces to a certain extent.

1  Thank USQFoodie
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We live a few blocks from Prune and love the brunch here. The lines are always long and the restaurant is tiny, so it's best to come about 20 minutes before they open. My husband always gets the soft scrambled eggs with bacon and sides of the chickpeas and tomatoes and I always get the fried oyster omelette with a side of potatoes rosti which is wonderfully crunchy on the outside and soft and creamy within. Our nephew is very fond of the Eggs Benedict and the hot chocolate with giant marshmallow is always a hit with the kids. You're in tight quarters here but the service is friendly and we never feel rushed. We've also been for dinner which is very good but we much prefer the brunch.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I've been meaning to eat here for the longest time. Finally, for my birthday we got reservations and it did not disappoint. The food was wonderful and the service very pleasant. It's not dressy but it is special. We loved the branzino, boiled beef and duck entrees. All the starters were great too.