“Wonderful Experience”

Transit: F Train to Delancey, JMZ to Essex
Austin, Texas
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Everyone must try this place at least once. Even if you not into molecular gastronomy, it is such and interesting experience Expensive food, small portion but staff was great and I had a wonderful experience.

Visited May 2013

Annemasse, France
“Excellent dishes, a very low-key atmosphere, but...”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We chose the 155 tasting menu of many small courses. We have eaten at El Bulli twice and Thierry Marx in Paris and are well-versed foodies. Everything was excellent but the portions so small and the list of ingredients so long that I found it difficult to get all the tastes in your mouth at once.
It is a low key place with no poshness at all, no sterling silver etc, the waitstaff in jeans. The wine-pairing costs 95 and there were some very striking and good choices. One we did not like was the Loire white but it was replaced immediately. however the waiter stood by his guns and claimed it was supposed to taste that way. Sorry, do not agree and I know my wines. but he was perfectly professional and pleasant so if ever something does not strike your fancy do speak up.
As mentioned above my criticism is the long list of ingredients on each dish, some of them just a few flakes of food...And personally I do not like them asking after every dish what we thought of it.. But that is me

• Visited November 2013
San Francisco, California
“Fell very short of expectations”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I found wd-50 to be grossly overrated. For the price that we're paying, I'd want a venue that was just a little classier. I don't need white tablecloths and leather chairs, but I would like to have a bit more privacy, and not be squeezed in shoulder-to-shoulder with the guests next to me.

The food was also somewhat disappointing. It certainly wasn't bad, but I've been to restaurants that were half the price, and twice as good.

The only real stand-outs from the evening were the desserts. The foamed key lime pie was amazing. It was served, torched on top, with condensed milk hidden inside. Beautiful construction, delicious in flavor.

Of the mains, the scallops were best.

For the price, I wouldn't really recommend wd-50.

Visited October 2013
St. Thomas
“Worth the experience”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We loved every bit of this menu. From the chilled egg drop soup to the rabbit to the Wagyu been to all four desserts....
The service was impeccable and the sommelier was helpful and on point.
Try the black garlic martini!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Brigitte B
Akron
“Very, very disappointing”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We were so looking forward to this dinner. We love tasting menus. We've seen Chef Dufresne on Top Chef Masters and were intrigued by his food. This was going to be one of the highlights of our trip to NYC. And we were so disappointed. We had the "from the vault" tasting menu which is 5 courses (versus 9 courses on the other tasting menu). WE also had the wine pairing. First course was a foie gras with anchovy. It was very fishy. Okay, maybe that's just me, so I was hopeful for the rest of the meal. 2nd course was a roasted chestnut soup served with salmon on the side. The salmon was very fishy. So much so, that I couldn't even eat it. 3rd course was a pork dish (sorry can't remember exact details) that was prepared sous vide. The pork was almost all fat. The accompaniments with it were delicious (love the roasted capers). Dessert was good, not great. Overall, the only thing we agreed that we all thought was delicious were the little capers. Not a good thing. Wine was lackluster. And they even paired one wine with two dishes, so we felt a little ripped off there. to top it all off, it was very, very expensive. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. Sorry!

• Visited October 2013