“Molecular gastronomy at expensive prices”
Review of wd~50 - CLOSED

Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Cross street: Stanton + Rivington
Transit: F Train to Delancey, JMZ to Essex
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Location and ambiance are very poor. It must be an inside joke, since the food is the real star: excellent after excellent dish is produced before you, and waiters recite in a dull fashion ingredient after ingredient. Everything is amazing to the point I hardly remember what I ate – one amazing bite after another and I am telling you ONE. However I remember being billed 429 dollars. Really? In NY I get the same quality, perhaps a better experience for much less money. All in all, I recommend it for a molecular gastronomy experience, but I'd rather spend my money in a place in which I can get more than one bit per dish and that I will remember…

There are newer reviews for wd~50

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We went to this place after a show and have been wanting to go there for a while. My husband and I like to try all the good restaurants in the city....BUT a what a huge disappointment! food was good, but nothing really great or special. Red wine was served chilled/cold....not sure how they got their awards!!!!

Overpriced and very small portions. Nothing special whatsoever. One can find better tasting food elsewhere. I am perplexed why people even go there.

They serve you what the chef makes,.not what you want!!

Reviewed August 25, 2013

The food was only average for Michelin star prices. The staff lacked passion for the food they were describing. The place lacked atmosphere and was freezing. Had to ask them twice to turn down the air con. I could not recommend this place at all.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I dined here on August 9th. I am 24 years old, have traveled and dined in many cities, and I have been a cook for 7 years, and this was the best complete meal I have ever eaten. Is it expensive? Yes. Will you be stuffed? I wasn't. Is it worth it? For me the answer is yes, because I see the quality and innovation in these dishes, the sequencing in the menu, and I was able to see new techniques and widen my palate. I understand that there will be people who view food as as nourishment and necessity instead of a possible pleasure. For you, I say look for cheaper, still delicious food elsewhere, but if you find enjoyment from unique flavor combinations and having your senses surprised and aroused, then it is worth every penny.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

It has been several years since I last ate at wd~50 and I really feel the restaurant has lost its mojo in the meantime. Where the dishes used to be innovative and delicious, now they feel as though a selection of ingredients has been thrown together with little regard to whether they taste well together. Such a shame, and a real disappointment.