“Flavor explodes from every dish”
Review of wd~50 - CLOSED

wd~50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Cross street: Stanton + Rivington
Transit: F Train to Delancey, JMZ to Essex
“Flavor explodes from every dish”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have been wanting to try wd-50 for a few years but never got around to it. Once they finished the renovation I made it a priority. Don't get scared away by molecular gastronomic misconceptions. We did the chefs tasting and we were amazed. The "nigiri" with salsify "rice" was a flavor punch and was not too small. The waferized sauces were amazing and not just molecular for molecular sake. Tsatziki as a wafer is ridiculous. Our favorite dish by far was the pho gras. Imagine pho broth made with fried foie, aged foie, crispy beef tendon and noodles. I could drink that broth all day. My wife and I have been hitting all the ny Michelin places and would rank Dufresne's food right up there. An amazing evening.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank PeterSNJ

Monaco
“Once in a Lifetime”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I had been dying to try this restaurant for years, and I am happy to say it exceeded my expectations! My boyfriend and I did the tasting menu with wine pairings, and here's a bit about our experience:

The space: Though we felt like we were in a completely sketchy area when we pulled up to the restaurant, the interior was pleasantly understated and unassuming. There was nothing stuffy or pretentious about it, and it was packed with an eclectic mix of people. We were a bit more formally dressed than most diners, but it was a special occasion.

The service: Friendly and very knowledgable. Our waitress answered every question about the food, its complicated preparation, and inspiration behind all the dishes. I hate being constantly bothered and "checked on" at restaurants, and the lovely server was unobtrusive but attentive. Perfect combo. As an added bonus, she took us into the kitchen to show us around and let us meet the chefs after our meal. I'm a bit of a food nerd, so this was truly the cherry on top of an already perfect evening.

The food: Outstanding. Each of the 12 (!) courses was brilliantly conceived and perfectly executed. The poached egg in the edible shell was clever and delicious, while the beet-mustard the accompanied the monkfish gave it an almost burger-like flavor...which is a good thing. Several of the dishes played little mind games with your palate like that...awesome. Also, I was relieved to see no foam whatsoever on any of my plates. Glad to see that trend is waning.

I had a fabulous time at WD50. We took photos of the food, laughed, drank, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Comedian Louis CK was sitting next to us, which was pretty exciting...always love a celebrity sighting.

This was a very expensive night out, but we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. That being said, one visit to this restaurant is probably enough for one lifetime. Not sure if it can outdo itself!

Denmark
“Excellent food. Busy and noisy.”
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

The food was excellent and innovative, the staff was OK friendly. When we reserved table, we were told it was no problem that one of us needs gluten-free food; it turned out that we had to insist very hard to get the big menu gluten-free. The room is not ideal: noisy, busy, dimly lit.

Southport, North Carolina
“My wife's favorite meal of all time”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

And we've dined at some heavy hitters around the world. We tried the tasting menu, 13 courses. It sounds daunting but the portion sizes are perfect, mostly 2-3 bites. Our experience lasted almost 3 hours but it went by surprisingly fast. The space is smaller than I expected but its cozy. The tables are pretty close together and its somewhat of a loud restaurant. The bar is small as well but the cocktails are creative and tasty. On the menu the night we dined was nigiri with seaweed for starters, then sweet shrimp with pine needles that was definitely one of my favorites of the night. Next was a "pho gras" followed by a pepper streusel with bone marrow, potato and pomegranate. Veal brisket was amazing, served with za'atar, apple and mustard; a wonderful combo. Then crab toast with saffron/kaffir-yogurt and arare - it worked. Black bass with squash/cherry/juniper and cous-cous. Squab was another favorite for me served with tomato hummus/pickled turnips and tzatziki. Then a wagyu beef served with mushroom jerky grape/verjus. On to desserts, all of which were marvelous. A coconut/cucumber/pineapple and chartreuse dish that was visually pleasing and an awesome palate cleanser. Then an interesting yuzu milk ice with hazelnut, jackfruit and basil. A more familiar flavor of smores was next, bitter cocoa, black currant and meringue. It was great, and I normally hate meringue. Finished the meal with a surprisingly simple white chocolate. Overall it was a great experience and I would go back and do it all over in a heartbeat. It's tough on the wallet but well worth it.

1 Thank aureliusjackson
Perth, Australia
“Put this on your must eat at list”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

WD50 is one of the best restaurants we have ever eaten at. We booked well ahead and were sandwiched in between 2 other couples, which is fine if you 1. like a chat or 2. can pretend you are the only patrons there. That aside, the food is amazing. The cocktails equally so, try the dirty martini. We paired the food and wine which complimented each other extremely well. Great service, great food and great wine ensures a memorable Manhattan experience.